Help! Fire went out over night pork shoulder

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jakus

Original poster
Apr 24, 2011
Help!

I started a 6 pound pork should on 4/23/11 @ 2pm

I easily made it to  140 in under four hours

@ 1am my dome temp was @ 250 and internal temp @ 175

4/24/11 @ 7 am dome temp @ 130 internal temp @ 141

As I write this @ 740am I have the fire going again dome temp @ 280 internal temp @ 133

What do I do?  Is it safe? I was trying to get an internal temp of 200

Does the bone pull out clean? if so it hit 200°  and at 7 it was still above the danger zone so it's safe IMHO. what are your plans for it?

Did you try to pull the bone out? if it has one. I'm thinking it got to 200° at some point and it's ready to pull the meat now.  see it you can shred a little meat. How it look for moistness?

Last edited:
Just pulled the bone.  It came out clean.  It was very windy here last night, and I kept having to close down my Big Green Egg more and more to keep the fire in check.  Apparentally the wind died down overnight and then I wasn't getting enough airflow to sustain the fire. 

Is hitting 200 internal temp required?

The meat that was exposed by pulling out the bone is very moist.  Should I pull the rest of the meat immediately or let it set any longer?

Just pulled the bone.  It came out clean.  It was very windy here last night, and I kept having to close down my Big Green Egg more and more to keep the fire in check.  Apparentally the wind died down overnight and then I wasn't getting enough airflow to sustain the fire. 

Is hitting 200 internal temp required?
the meat pulls best after it hits 195°-205°  Temps under 195 are good for slicing. I'd pull it now if its not to hot for ya, I'd like to see what some of the pulled pork pro's have to say also.

Oh and welcome to the forums....

If bbally says it's safe then it's safe. Sounds to me you could easily pull it if the bone came out clean. Give it a try.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky