Help an old guy...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dduncan

Original poster
May 22, 2006
I had a friend go to the store a buy me a pork butt..he came back with this:

d40453a8_porkcuts.png
W/out the fancy trim.  How do I smoke this thing? 
drool.gif
  I was gonna do up some pulled pork, but now I'm lost; I've done some good work on several butts but thats all I've ever smoked.  I have Jeff's rub on it already and it's in the frige; I would like to smoke it tommrow.  Thanks

DDuncan

since that cut is so lean you only need to take it to 150-155 and let it rest for about 5 min tented with foil. i have not smoked any chops or bone in loins but i'm sure it would be good as heck. one thing i would do is try a hotter smoke....like around 275- 300 deg to develop more flavor  on the outside.

They are great smoked. Just be careful to not go over 155*F IT. I don't mind a little pink so I shoot for 140-145* tops...JJ

Thanks guys,

I feel better now;  I'll smoke it like it is, and let you know how it tastes! 
439.gif

Not a pulling candidate!

That is a prime piece of meat.  I would pull that at 135 Internal temp to 140 tops.  It will rise to 145 while resting.  You will be rewarded with tender and juicy meat!

Good luck and good smoking.

Not a pulling candidate!

That is a prime piece of meat.  I would pull that at 135 Internal temp to 140 tops.  It will rise to 145 while resting.  You will be rewarded with tender and juicy meat!

Good luck and good smoking.
x2 on that. I've never smoked one but I've cooked many in the oven. Rub it with salt and pepper, maybe some garlic powder if you prefer. I like to cook mine on the upper middle rack at 450° until the outside has a nice crispy brown, then turn it down to 225° until the IT is 137°. Rest for 8 minutes. 

Cure it, then smoke it and make Bone-in Canadian Bacon-type roast!  Well, probably too late, but next one you get, lol!  You can bone it out and make boneless Canadian Bacon and cure and smoke the ribs and backbones too.... yum!  Or, you can split it half way up the ribs across the rib bones and make country style ribs too with the rib portion cutting between the ribs, and a bone-in roast on the chine part.

Well guys,

I smoked it @ about 280F till it got to 145F tented it for 15 min. and it was great!  It just dripped with juiceness, as you can see...and the taste..Wow.

ce062c1a_IMG_0001.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky