Hello

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rwiggim

Original poster
Oct 13, 2010
Portland Or
My name is Darren Morgan and I live in Portland, OR. I cooked in restaurants for years and years but now keep it to myself and friends. I use a an old imperial kamado for most of smoking and I built a brick oven for pizzas and baking. I have a make shift rotisserie for rotisserieing and a little pit built on the side of my oven for straight grilling.

I have a buddy who's starting a restaurant and I am trying to help him get going. We need to build a pretty large smoker but his budget is shrinking rapidly. I have access to both kinds of food-grade steel barrels (sealed lids and removable) and access to a good welder (person) and a bit of scrap metal. I would optimally like to have a offset barrel for indirect smoking and the other that could be used as a grill as well.

I have looked pretty far now trying to find a good set of plans and have yet to find anything that envisions what I do. I am not tied to that design if anyone could offer advice on a better build. As most of my smoking is done on a small scale I am in need of someone with knowledge.

If anyone has any questions about brick ovens or the old kamados (I just refinished mine this summer and saved a bunch by not buying parts) or anything else please feel free to ask I'll try to answer the questions I can.

Thanks darren

Welcome!  I don't have any answers to share, but just wanted to say "oh boy, another northwesterner!!"   You'll get a LOT of helpful info. from the folks here, you came to the right place.

Welcome to SMF!  Plans &/or pix of your design thoughts would be a huge help for members to offer advice. 

For the upright that works as both a great smoker and a grill, check out the Magnum Force UDS at

http://www.randyq.addr.com/friends/mikey/magnum_force.htm

I have 2 drums and my Weber kettle waiting in the wings to build this one. (Shsssss: don't tell my wife!!!!!
icon_cool.gif
)

Thanks for the nice introduction, and welcome to the SMF. It's a friendly gesture on your part to offer your help. It's all good my friend.

icon_cool.gif

First off Welcome Darren to SMF. You might be able to find some good words of wisdom (I don't have much to help) in the build section here but I do know that alot of members have built a many a smoker. I'm sure there's someone here that has and knows just what you are after. So they will come along before too long. You'll like it here for there are alot of really good folks here that would just love to help you with just about anything to do with smoking. Now there are alot of proven recipes for some amazing things here too.So the next big thing for you to do is go out and get you something to smoke and if you happen to have any questions just post it here and we will be happy to answer them for you.

Welcome To Your New Addiction    

Last edited:
Welcome to the SMF. Glad to have you here. Lots of good folks, great recipes and knowledge. Looking forward to your first qview.
icon_cool.gif

158bca1f_smoker.jpg
Thanks for the welcomes.

Here is a translation by my hand of what my head thinks.

Essentially I would like to mainly use it as a smoker but have the ability to grill on it as well.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky