Hello to Everyone from the Pacific Northwest (Oregon)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

duckinlow

Original poster
Oct 11, 2010
Eagle Creek, Oregon
Glad I found this place, hope to learn a thing or two! Getting to the place where every day counts and always wanted to do some smoke stuff, so with a bone marrow transplant staring me in the face, I thought it would be good to get some of my "want to's" behind me instead of always dealing with my "have to's". So, headed for the barn, dusted off a never used present from my son ( see pics attached), electric element in the bottom, 2 grates at the top and my wife came home with a Tri-Tip roast to experiment on.

If you folks would be so kind, let me know what I have here, maybe some tips how to get started, and all around other stuff you want want to talk about. We have a good supply of red alder and white oak and I suppose I could scare up some apple if I looked hard enough. I am thinking a rub with maybe a dipping sauce on the side, I think those are the right terms.

3478032c_smoker_01.jpg

904a9f8a_smoker_03.jpg

I'm not enough of an expert to know what you got other than the obvious.  Others will be along to clear the smoke (sorry, couldn't help it).  Welcome from a fellow PNW, Washington, way the heck up I-5 near the Canadian border.  There's quite a few of us hanging around and I'm sure you'll enjoy your stay. 

Welcome - the PNW is coming on strong!  Best wishes to you in your treatment.  Just saw one of our oldest (in the time sense, she's not old) through her "auto" t-cell transplant (her own cells), then about 2 months later, her "allo" t-cell transplant (her sister's), here @ SCCA in seattle.  She's doing great, exceeding expectations for quite a while now, and will be going home ahead of schedule!    You've got a pretty cool son - giving you a smoker! Now you'll owe him a share of the goodies, or was that his plan all along???  have fun!

BarbeQueen  -  thanks for the welcome and the encouraging words..... we probably will be getting BMT at Seattle VA early 2011, they work closely with SCCA, ny sister is a perfect match for donor, so she will be seeing the great PNW (not under the best conditions)..... I had not thought about the possible devious ulterior motive of my son giving me the smoker.... you don't think.... naaaaaaa.... he wouldn't do that...... or would he?

Welcome to SMF, Glad to have you with us.

This is the place to learn, lots of good info and helpful friendly Members.

For those of you new to Smoking, be sure to check out Jeff's 5 Day Smoking Basics eCourse.

Click Here it's "FREE" ... 5 Day eCourseE

Sorry to hear about the pending BMT, but glad to see you found SMF! Welcome to the forum, I can't offer you much advice on using an electric smoker, but I will say since you live in the Pac. NW where we have our lovely liquid sunshine 7 months out of the year, make sure you have a nice covered area to Que in.
wink.gif

You better figure out this que stuff fast, because you are going to owe your sister a lifetime supply of que!
biggrin.gif

icon_cool.gif

First off Welcome PNW to SMF. you'll like it here for there are alot of really good folks here that would just love to help you with just about anything to do with smoking. Now there are alot of proven recipes for some amazing things here too. So if you need sign up for the E-Course it's free and it will give you the basics of smoking and some good methods to use also. So the next big thing for you to do is go out and get you something to smoke and if you happen to have any questions just post it here and we will be happy to answer them for you.

Welcome To Your New Addiction    

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky