Hello from Volney NY

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

forestwalker

Original poster
Apr 8, 2008
Hello from Volney NY( North and west of Syracuse) I had to replace my 10 year old New Braunfels Smoker so I bought a Chargriller Pro With A side Fire Box. Ive gotten alot of good data form here and have made some modifications and been cooking some outstanding meat. I have not had alot of good chicken and pork but have had trouble with any beef that did not have a good amount of fat. I have just found a source for grass fed Texas Longhorn, and I want to smoke it but being that it has alot less fat than regular beef I am wondering if there is any thing I should try Any help would be appreciated

I'm Not much help on the cookin' part , but a welcome to a great forum .
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

FW, welcome to SMF where smoking meat is king!

Have you tried to wrap bacon, or rub the lean cut of beef down with some extra-virgin olive oil prior to the smoke? The bacon will definitely add to the moisture retention of the meat, as well as provide a delicious bacon flavor that will have that meat melting in your mouth.

Welcome Forest, glad to have you here.
smile.gif

I like to use a marinade or bacon. It is a leaner meat, but in my opinion, not as lean as buffalo.
Could be the grass fed longhorns around here are just less active than other longhorns. lol

Welcome Forest! That lean beef can be a bit of a challenge. Consider a base of rubbed on rendered bacon fat before sprinkling on the rub, and have some oil or butter in your mop sauce too.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky