Hello from the UK

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Liam

Original poster
Jul 8, 2018
UK
hey.

Completely new to smoking and American barbecue which is nothing like what we have over here.

For most Brits, barbecue is the thing you cook on outdoors, most times it’s just a charcoal grill. On it can be some of the strangest collections of ‘meat’ known to man: frozen supermarket burgers, chicken drumsticks covered in horrifically sweet ‘bbq sauce’ and i’ve Had enough of it. I want good, juicy meat so I’m going to do it myself.

Started with a spatchcock chicken yesterday which would have been beautiful - if i’d Remembered that most US recipes use Fahrenheit but I think in Celsius for internal temperatures. On the positive side, I possibly created chicken jerky.

Looking for lots of ideas and practical advice.

Welcome to the site, We have quite a few members from the UK here so they can help you with finding things easier.

Chris

hey.

Completely new to smoking and American barbecue which is nothing like what we have over here.

For most Brits, barbecue is the thing you cook on outdoors, most times it’s just a charcoal grill. On it can be some of the strangest collections of ‘meat’ known to man: frozen supermarket burgers, chicken drumsticks covered in horrifically sweet ‘bbq sauce’ and i’ve Had enough of it. I want good, juicy meat so I’m going to do it myself.

Started with a spatchcock chicken yesterday which would have been beautiful - if i’d Remembered that most US recipes use Fahrenheit but I think in Celsius for internal temperatures. On the positive side, I possibly created chicken jerky.

Looking for lots of ideas and practical advice.

Welcome to the club! In my opinion, chicken is not the easiest to smoke. I just recently learned I was smoking too low of a temp and that's why the skin was rubbery. I'm not sure what kinds of meat the UK has available but I think a boston butt/pork shoulder is a really good one that is hard to mess up as you start out. Pork Ribs are pretty easy to get delish and using the 3.2.1 method.

Welcome Aboard from Wisconsin USA!

I'm on several discord servers etc with cooking channels and I always remind people to check if they use F or C before following my advice .. because some one started their oven on fire trying to follow my directions for F and were using C.. lol

If not pork ribs, try pork butt/shoulder roast as Banderson said :)

Thanks for the welcome everyone.

Next up is a brisket, just waiting for payday. I want to try pork ribs soon but my girlfriend is allergic (but loves them) so she’ll just gripe!

Thanks for the welcome everyone.

Next up is a brisket, just waiting for payday. I want to try pork ribs soon but my girlfriend is allergic (but loves them) so she’ll just gripe!
my girlfriend is allergic
Allergic to pork? I didn't know such an allergy existed. What kind of allergy is this?
but loves them
Huh? This... this is sad... to be allergic to something you love.

She has IBS and, although it’s not a proper allergy, she used to have to take 4 tablets a day and still had huge issues. She cut out pork and hasn’t had to take a tablet in the last 12 months.

And now I get to be horrid by cooking bacon and ribs and ham and sausages and chops and....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky