Hello from the Famous Potato State

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mustangkid

Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
I am a "new guy" at this smoking thing. I have bbq in the past (steaks, hotdogs, and chicken) but I've been toying with the idea of expanding my skills.
I have been reading the forum and have gotten some great advice by just reading other threads.
My biggest concern has been what type of smoker to purchase. Charcoal,
Electric, or Gas (propane).
Well just wanted to say hello and thanks to all you great folks.

Welcome aboard, the more the merrier
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Lots of great advice on here as you know.

Welcome Kid,
From another spudahodian (Boise). You are going to get several different answers on that question. I guess I will go first, Electric are great if they are insulated well. If not they tend to run on the cool side. Charcoal is probably the best I have ever tasted, but I don't have the time to tend it and control the temp. Never tried a stickburner but they look great on wheels. That brings us to my personal choice, gasser. I have a stainless 48" Cabelas vertical that I got just after Christmas. Hands down the most fun I have had. Temp control is easy as turning a knob, just have to keep the LP flowing. It has turned out the best food I have ever done. Just my 2/100ths of a dollar.

LS

Hello and welcome to the SMF. I'm really glad to know you've taken advantge of reading the forums that are available, quite a knowledge base. Do some researching for your smoker, and remember that most of us change/upgrade/add another smoker somewhere along the line. You live in a scenic state, are you near a major city? I have lived in Idaho Falls, Pocatello, Twin Falls, Salmon, Jerome, and a little time in Moscow. It's all good! Good luck on your smoker research, remember we're here to help answer any questions.

Potato state for sure
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
On a RV vacation to Oregon we picked up some Rib-eyes for the grill and two big baking potatoes from Idaho. The sign stated FRESH. I did the rib-eyes on an outside grill at the campground while wife baked the potatoes, added butter, sour cream and a few mushrooms to them. I gotta say, the Steaks tasted great, but for the first time we finished the potatoes first. They were amazing!!

Welcome aboard. You'll have fun here.

Welcome to the forum, Mustang. I'm a gasser personally basically for the convenience as Longshot said. Do your research and see all that's available and then make your choice. Good luck.

Welcome to SMF. This is THE place to be. I use a sfb with charcoal and wood chunks. You will get many answers as to what kind of smoker to buy. And none of the answers are wrong. Decide how much you want to smoke, number of people that you will be smoking for and how much effort you want to put in to it. Then do a lot of research on the forum. THEN the journey begins. Good luck!
icon_mrgreen.gif

Mustang welcome to smf. As far as smokers go it is a personal preference. I have a charcol and a gasser. I like both but prefer the charcol the most!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks alot everyone for the welcome and advice.
I hale from Caldwell area out near a little spot in the road
called Sand Hollow.
I am leaning toward the gas smoker (for now) because of the conveinence
but probably will try other methods as time and experience increases.
Thanks again for the warm welcome, looking forward to communicating in this forum.

Welcome to the SMF!! The smoker thing is like cman said... depends on your smokin' need... time to tend ...amount of food you plan on... convenience verses work... anyone you choose... someone on here can help you with...

Welcome to the SMF! As you already seen there's lots of folks here who are willing to assist when you need answers.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky