Hello from San Jose, CA

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mdharmon

Original poster
Feb 28, 2008
San Jose, CA
Howdy all,

So i have been lurking around this site for a couple weeks and I have finially found the time to try my first attempt at smoking. So let me introduce myself, my name is Matt, I BBQ year round, spend much of my free time in the ocean SCUBA diving, and Hunting for fish. I have a nice little Char-Broil Offset smoker. nothing big or fancy but it does what i need it to and since i am an apartment dweller, space is at a premium on my deck.

This weekend i am going to give the Pork Butt recipe a go, using some hicory chips on top of mesquite charcoal. Figure a few beers, a nice cigar, and a warm and sunny California day will be the prelude to a great dinner. I look forward to many more smoked dishes, especially some fresh fish.

Matt

Welcome to the forum! If you have any questions about smoking, just ask. There are a lot of knowledgable folks here willing to give you a hand. Keith

Thank you for the welcomes, i look forward to asking many questions in teh quest for a better BBQing experience and hopefully being able to add my $0.02 now and then!!!

Matt

welcome Matt,boy I sure don't miss stevens creek Blvd.good folk here with lotsa help-glad to have ya.

Welcome to the forum Matt!
smile.gif

Welcome Matt. Used to do a little Abalone diving up at Bodega Bay when I lived in Sacramento. On the Gulf Coast now. You'll find this forum great for smoking recipes and help when you have a question. Enjoy!

I'm looking forward to the Ab season, only another few weeks away!!! BTW, have you ever tried to Smoke an Abalone?

So I spent a good 6 - 7 hours on Saturday working the BBQ as i enjoyed a nice warm CA day. and ended it with a great dinner!!!! I followed the directions pretty much as is, and didn't deviate much at all. and gosh, it worked great. Only problem i had was that the temp on my smoker didn't stay warm enough, but by the end i had good heat management going on. Had my temp closer to 200 than 250 but oh well. Next time I'll do better with that.

Here are some pictures -
After marinating in Stubbs BBQ Dry rub over night -
IMG_7487_edited-1.JPG

On the Smoker -
IMG_7489_edited-2.jpg

During the process -

IMG_7490_edited-2.jpg

After it is all done and ready to be pulled-
IMG_7491_edited-2.jpg

TIME TO EAT!!!!
IMG_7492_edited-2.jpg

Thank you. Yeah, my sister, and neighbor had no complaints with their plate!!! And I'm going to be forced to have pulled pork sandwiches for lunch for a couple days....aw shucks!!!

Oh, one question. So the thermometer on the grill ran hot, becasue of warnings i saw elsewhere not to trust it, i didn't. i bought a $5 from Bed Bath and Beyond. however, by the time I was done BBQing that guague was covered in smoke. i got most of it off.

But is there some thermometer for inside the grill that is good and won't allow a build up of smoke on the glass?

I bought an electronic one from Wally World. Many places have them. Has a needle you put in the meet and a 2 ft cord runs to the thermometer you can set on something next to your smoker. Works pretty good. Course some have it really good and have a wireless one you can lay on the kitchen counter or clip on your belt.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky