Hello from Raleigh NC

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

boykjo

Renowned Sausage Maker
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Apr 28, 2010
Raleigh,NC
I have been surfing this website for a while and you all are a great group of people with a lot of knowledge about building, smoking meat, poultry and fish. I decided to join in and share with many of you.

First I would like to introduce myself and tell you a little about me. My name is Joe and I have been in NC for some 22yrs. I was born in Scranton Pa area, moved to NJ and relocated to the beautiful state of NC where BBQ is big.
I am a Maintenance Mechanic in the pharmaceutical industry and also I am a welder.
I love to cook meats. I started getting into building grills and pig cookers when I came to NC because there’s nothing better than people gathering around a grill and eating. My specialty is kielbasa. When I was young our family would all get together and have holiday meals and my grandmother would make us eat a slice of bread for every three slices of kielbasa. There was an old country store in Dickson city Pa called Janus’s (yanus) and they made the best smoked kielbasa. I was about 18 when they closed and they took their recipe with them. In my dilemma I wanted to duplicate their kielbasa not knowing anything about making sausage. I surfed the net on recipes, made my own sausage stuffer out of sanitary tubing and an old air cylinder and started concocting kielbasa. I finally got it right after 12 yrs of trial and error and it is good. There were a few hundred pounds that got fed to the dogs at first but slowly I was getting better. I would say the kielbasa is good as or better than Janus’s. Everyone goes nuts for it when I bring it out. I also like to BBQ ribs. My favorite ribs are with John Henry’s pecan rub with some Curlys BBQ sauce. mmmmmm mmmmmm

I currently don’t have real smoker but am looking for some material to make one. I might try a UDS first. I do hang my kielbasa in my pig cooker add wood chips
Some of you may have heard of me from another forum http://www.hobartwelders.com/weldtalk/
I posted instructions on how to build a pipe burner which some of you have done here.
Here are a couple of my grills I made that I currently use.

Again I look forward to posting with all of you especially the Qveiw.
79cd56a1_vbattach24696.jpg

6bb30c07_vbattach24697.jpg

fcf6f38d_vbattach24698.jpg

Joe welcome to SMF glad you decided to join us. Theres lots of good info here and some great recipes as well. Those are some nice looking grills you've built. Have fun and happy smoking

Welcome to SMF Joe. It sounds like you are in the right place with the right ideas. I am still trying to figure out what a Maintenance Mechanic does in the pharmaceutical industry but different strokes. That is what makes the world go around. Glad to have you here, looking forward to your qview, especially of that Kielbasa you've perfected & have fun.

Welcome, Joe. I be a newbie too and live not too far away east of Pittsboro (love too, but that was a typo). I'm also looking into a "real" smoker after grilling on propane for about 7 years (cheap charcoal grills before that for 100s of years
tongue.gif
). So maybe we can learn something about all this together. Rich

Hello Joe, and thanks for the introduction. I'm sure you'll continue enjoying the SMF. It's all good my friend.

Welcome to the SMF. Glad to have you here. Lots of good folks, great recipes and knowledge. Looking forward to your first qview. I'm loving that tailgaiting grill you made, SWEET!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky