Hello From OHIO

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokin fox

Original poster
May 7, 2016
hello everyone

New to the forum. Got back into smoking just after Christmas when my Family got me a new Bradly Electric smoker.

Been trying different things and learning what works best. Getting ready to smoke about 8 pounds of chicken and a 5 pound pork loin for mothers day tomorrow. (We have a lot of people coming over to our house for mothers day.) Trying to figure out a temp so i can smoke the loin and the chicken at the same time. 

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. 

hello everyone

New to the forum. Got back into smoking just after Christmas when my Family got me a new Bradly Electric smoker.
Been trying different things and learning what works best. Getting ready to smoke about 8 pounds of chicken and a 5 pound pork loin for mothers day tomorrow. (We have a lot of people coming over to our house for mothers day.) Trying to figure out a temp so i can smoke the loin and the chicken at the same time. 

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. 

Where ya at in Ohio?

You can prolly smoke at around 250-275 and then finish the chicken on a hot grill at 325 or more to get the skin crispy. Be sure not to over cook the loin as it can dry out pretty easily.

Reactions: smokin fox
Welcome to the forum!  I like Al's plan, just be careful with the smoke.  Chicken absorbs smoke and can get too smokey for some tastes. 

Mike

It turned out amazing. Smoked them for 7hours between 195-210°
I injected the loin with apple juice, and a little rice vinegar the night before. Patted it dry, rubbed it down with my pork dry rub. The chicken I did the same way but I did not inject them.
They turned out amazing and was super juicy! While smoking I sprayed them down every hour to hour and a half with apple juice. Used hickory for smoking and cooked the pork to an IT of 175° and the chicken to 190° and it turned out really good. Everyone loved it!

I'm from the Cincinnati area.

Nice, I'm just up in the Dayton area.

To be clear on the comment above, pork loin shouldn't go over 150. My guess is your injection may have kept it juicy, but loin can dry out quickly.

But if you cook a pork but for pulled pork you want it at about 200-205

I try for 150° IT. I had to let it smoke a little longer than planned. I put it in a little too early for dinner at 5. The last 2 hours I turned the temp way down to just keep it hot and started spraying it down every 30 min to keep moisture in the chicken and pork.

I use that same injection for pork shoulder and pork butt and it normally turns out amazing. The acid in the rice vinegar and apple juice really helps to break down the connective tissue in the shoulder and just falls apart when it's done! Sunday was the first time ive tried that injection for loin and it turned out really good.

I'm definitely still learning. The last loin I did was smaller and it got dry and tough. This time it turned out alot better. For some reason it won't let me post a picture from my phone?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky