Hello from Kansas

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

coacher72

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Mar 16, 2010
Pratt, Kansas
Just wanted to say hi and that I have "messed" around with smoking for the last several years but recently have decided to get more serious. I have recently purchased a Wichita model offset smoker from Yoder Smokers out of Hutchinson,KS. They have a BBQ store in Wichita. I went by yesterday and saw them and really liked the craftsmanship. They were more expensive then I wanted to pay, but I'm sure it will last a lifetime. It will be delivered tomorrow. I'm anxious to get it seasoned and then start learning how to use it to turn out some good BBQ.
I would appreciate any input that any of you might have on how to properly season the smoker.

Thanks

Welcome to the forum. The Yoder is a great unit. Congrat on the new smoker. I'm sure there will be someone along soon that can answer your questions on seasoning your unit. I would suspect Yoder would have a procedure in the paperwork that came with the unit.
icon_smile.gif

Howdy Coach, welcome to SMF. I live up here in McLouth and my smokers consist of a UDS, a homemade offset, an ECB and a gourmet electric.

To your Wichita Yoder model we go. I would say load her up with some lump and bring her up to 350 or so and keep it there for between 4 to 6 hours. That will open the pores on the metal up and burn off any nastys. The lump you use should be good quality stuff like Royal Oak. That way you will have more consistent heat and less ash. The RO is also based on oak so it does burn hot and requires less fuel. During the burn in I would toss in some chunks of maybe hickory, mesquite, cherry or apple. Next day I would go out and take a dry old cloth or rag and wipe down the smoke chamber. Some will tell ya at this point to take a little vegetable oil or bacon grease and rub it in. Either way I would burn it one last time. Reason being to make sure it is burnt good and to have one more empty practice run so you can get used to the way the unit breathes and maintains heat.

Then of course, you got to go out and get a pork butt and smoke it up.

A lot of people like those Yoder smokers and they are doing great business. Enjoy your toy and the world of smoking. Hope your a Jayhawk fan.

welcome01d.gif

You have gone and done it now! Stumbled into a whole nest of grazed smokers. Next thing you know you will be getting funny looks from your family while you snap pics of the excellent Q you just smoked.

You got yourself a great smoker. We will look forward to some fine Q pics....

SMOKE ON DUDE !

David, and others thanks for the welcome. I have been a fan of this forum for a couple of years but didn't join until today.
David, thanks for the advice on how to season the smoker. Yoder had a special for buyers. They call it their "Starter Kit". They tossed in 20 lbs of lump charcoal and 2 cu.ft. of wood splits along with some other things like rubs, spices and book on BBQ. It looks like it will take most of the lump and splits to get her good and seasoned.
If I get it tomorrow, I hope have my first meal out of it by the weekend.
Thanks again to everyone.

[font=&quot][/font]

[font=&quot]Welcome Fellow Kansan to SMF.

Glad to have you with us. This is the place to learn, lots of good info and helpful friendly Members.[/font]

[font=&quot]For those of you new to Smoking, be sure to check out Jeff's 5 Day Smoking Basics eCourse.[/font]
[font=&quot]Click Here it's "FREE" ... 5 Day eCourse [/font]

[font=&quot]I Would Highly Suggest Reading these posts on Food Safety by bbally. [/font]

[font=&quot]This thread will tell you basically everything you need to know and the man explaining it is[/font]
[font=&quot]both a ServSafe Instructor and a HACCP Instructor.[/font]
http://tinyurl.com/ygg8gfb

http://tinyurl.com/yjavfkj

[font=&quot]Here you can get the 2009 USDA Food Safety Guide from his site.[/font]
http://tinyurl.com/ykq5p9t

[font=&quot]How to post Qview to Forum:[/font]

[font=&quot]When you uploading to Photobucket I always use the Large IMG setting, 640 x 480 it is a nice size...[/font]

[font=&quot]Everyone here enjoys seeing the Qview so be sure to post plenty of pics...[/font]

[font=&quot]Large ones that us old people with bad eyes can see.[/font]

[font=&quot][/font]

[font=&quot]For Step By Step Instructions On Posting Qview Check Out This Tutorial[/font]

http://tinyurl.com/yjm4xkh

Everyone thanks for the help on seasoning my smoker. It arrived this morning and I'm in the process of seasoning it. It has been going about 3 1/2 hrs. My other question has to do with what I should do next. The guy I bought the smoker from said he seasoned his with just one burn for about 3 hours. I've read that some will wipe down the inside with vegetable oil and then run a second burn.
My question is what's the purpose of the oil and does it really help? How do you feel as far as it being a necessary step in the seasoning process?

I would appreciate any input.

Congrats on the Yoder purchase. Those are dead ringers for the original Oklahoma Joe units.

They are 1/4" thick which helps hold the heat. One thing you will notice is that if you try smoking in cold weather, make sure to run a super hot fire for at least an hour, maybe longer. It seems that if the smoker isnt up to temp it dont flow real well and will sometimes belch out in a reverse flow effectively putting your fire out.

Once the whole thing is up to temp, it flows well.

Did you get the propane log starter? I found that it really helps not only to start the fire, but once you get a good fire going you turn it down and it helps regulate the temps so you dont have any massive up and down swings.

Get that new toy seasoned and get to smokin!!

Okjsmoker, thanks. If you hadn't heard, one of the guys from Oklahoma Joe's is making these (Yoder) smokers. He went to work for this company in Hutchinson, Kansas. He had signed a 2 year non-compete contract with OK Joes. When that ran out he began building these Yoder Smokers. The smoker business now is making up almost 30% of their business.
I just finished 5 hour burn to season it. What are your thoughts on wiping it out with a cloth, giving it a coating of oil and doing a second burn to season it further? I've read that some do it this way. Is it necessary?

Necessary? .... No I wouldnt think so, its more of a personal preference.

But... I tend to think of a oil wipedown as sealing the interior, kinda like seasoning a cast iron pan.

Thanks for the info on the Okie Joe-Yoder connection, I didnt know any history behind that.

Good luck with your smokes, that smoker will also last a long long time.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky