Hello from Hesperia, Michigan

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

prov1

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jul 27, 2007
I am totally new to the business of smoking, I am currently in the process of looking to purchase a charcoal/propane smoker. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to start with?

Thank you.

Welcome to the best forum on the net ProV1 glad to have you with us. As far as smokers go its pretty much your preference if you want to set and forget or set up and man a fire all night. Im a wood burner myself but the most popular smoker on here seems to be the GOSM. This is a very addictive hobby we have here but we all love it. Check out the 5 day e-course its loaded with great info and its free.

Welcome from another Michigander, lot of us here these days!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Hi Pro! If you get a cold one and read through this site you'll see pros and cons of every smoker out there. Good luck with your decision and this is indeed an unbelievable wealth of info on smokin' food.

Hey ProV, You found a great place to assist with your smoker shopping, and I found it can be pretty overwhelming if you try to go it alone. You can get reviews on just about every smoker out there on this site, plus there is probably more information on smoking meat and smokers on this website alone than any other one site out there.

Welcome, and good smoking!

Welcome ProV1 -

There's a wide range of smokers out there and a wide range of prices as well. Look around and get a few ideas. Don't forget to check out the smoking meat store - there's a lot of smokers there too!

Welcome Prov1, always good to see a new person looking for the right stuff! You'll have much to gain by reading about other member's experiences and views on smokers and the likes there of. Take your time and read-on.

Welcome to SMF ProV1!!! Best thing would probably be reading the archives here and then ask specific questions that you may have. There is tons of opinion and info contained here at SMF.

I spent about a week in Hesperia a few years back trapping. It seemed to be a pretty nice little town. Kinda similiar to where I'm from.

Welcome to SMF!! from the same county. You have just signed on to one of the best places on the net. Lots of help here.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

I have a I have a Chargriller pro with a side fire box & like it a lot, but I haven't used anything else ... yet.

Hey you are close enough to Silver Lake, you should check out http://www.slsdbbq.com/ several guys from here will be there, including me in the backyard competition.
PDT_Armataz_01_36.gif

Welcome to our humble abode, ProV1... you'll love it here!

My first smooker is a CharGriller Smokin' Pro, which I really love. I also just recently bought an ECB, which I haven't finished modding yet. Whatever you decide on, I'll guarantee that you will be hooked for life and keep adding to your arsenal.
PDT_Armataz_01_23.gif

Good luck on your decision!

I am definitely planning on making the short journey over to Silver Lake to check out the BBQ cook-off.....I hope to be up and cooking before then but it will be good to visit with a few experts!!

ProV1

Hello from a fellow Michigander!!

If you are thinking propane - get the GOSM.

$128 at WallyWorld and it's about as easy as it gets for good "Q"

Either way you decide to go - you can count on great help and answers from the folks here!
PDT_Armataz_01_06.gif

This is awesome yet an other Michigan smoker.

Boy really you should take a look at the smokers in the backyard challenge at Silver Lake. It will give you an idea of what others are using.

Welcome aboard

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky