Hello from Dr.Ken

Discussion in 'Roll Call' started by dr. ken, Nov 8, 2007.

1. dr. ken

dr. ken Newbie

Hello!!

I am from Oklahoma and an avid "smoker" of briskets. I use 1, 2, or 3 smokers I have in my backyard depending onthe size of crew I need to feed. I recently went through 120lbs of brisket at my daughter's cheerleading gym---cheerleaders eat alot of brisket! I also have an event next weekend where I feed about 200 cheer coaches and they request it when they are in OKC. I am starting a new internet BBQ business so I will have many questions. I use only pecan wood and smoke my briskets for 24-hours....I have been told for years to start a brisket business and finally am venturing out. Any advice would definately be appreciated!!!
    Thanks for a forum like this as I did not know such a site existed....have a great day! Ken

2. ba_loko

ba_loko Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

Good luck on your venture! We're glad you're here.

3. ds7662

ds7662 Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

Good luck. I am sure you will find tons of useful information here as I have.

4. welcome to the SMF....good luck with ur venture

5. homebrew & bbq

homebrew & bbq Smoking Fanatic

Welcome to SMF, Dr. Ken! I look forward to hearing more about briskets from you and seeing pictures of how you do it. Glad to have you with us.

6. hawgheaven

hawgheaven Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Welcome Dr. Ken, glad you found us! Looking forward to your posts! [​IMG]

7. richtee

richtee Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Welcome to SMF Dr. Ken! Keep reading, all the advice it out there...unless you have a specific question? I did notice the 24 hour thing. There may be no need to do so. You do have a good quality digital meat thermometer, right? When that brisket hits the 180's- it's done for slicing. Sounds like you might be pulling it, or at least having a hard time with the slicing? Or you run your smoker quite low in temp?

8. Welcome Dr Ken. Can't wait to see some Q pics of your briskets. Enjoy

9. gramason

gramason Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

Welcome aboard the SMF, good luck.

10. blackhawk19

blackhawk19 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Welcome to the SMF, lookin forward to some Q-View.

11. flattop

flattop Smoke Blower

Welcome to SMF Dr Ken.... hope to see some Q-View from you soon.

12. smokeys my pet

smokeys my pet Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Welcome to smf. I am about ready to try my first brisket I hope this Sat. and looking forward to it.Best of luck on your venture in bussiness.[​IMG]

13. jts70

jts70 Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

Good luck and welcome aboard

14. cowgirl

cowgirl Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Welcome to the SMF.[​IMG]

15. buddy

buddy StickBurners

Hey Dr. Ken , welcome aboard.

16. glued2it

glued2it Master of the Pit

Welcome to SMF! Another okie!

WE'RE MULTIPLYING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

17. chris_harper

chris_harper Master of the Pit OTBS Member

welcome to the SMF. i also noticed the 24-hour smoke. you must be smoking those big packers. i always try to get 10-lbs and under packers. most of us here go by temp, not time, for smoking our meat. except ribs that is.

18. shellbellc

shellbellc Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Welcome aboard...Below is a link to a post from one of our members who recently opened a BBQ restaurant. There is A LOT of information about the pain of finding a location and the permits and refurbishing once he found it. I'm sure you'll find at least some useful information in there...

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...ead.php?t=1865

19. moltenone

moltenone Smoking Fanatic

welcome Dr. Ken i have this rash and it's real icky and[​IMG] nevermind. welcome to SMF.

Mark

20. linbru

linbru Fire Starter

WoW - A Newbe who can give some of us starters some tips!

Good luck!!!