Hello from BrewCity... Milwaukee, WI

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

coolkayaker

Original poster
Jan 9, 2017
New Berlin, WI
So I've actually been a member for over a year but never really dove into the site like I should have. I just recently started getting back into my meat and wanted to offer a kind hello to all of you. I have been reading a lot of posts lately on making snack sticks. My background is fresh sausage and I'm getting into the cured and semi cured realm. I even made my own curing chamber out of a used fridge and rigged it with temp and humidity controllers. I'll have to post on that in the future. But for now I am excited to make my first 5 lb batch of snack sticks. I'll try to post on that too.

A little about me... I have a Hungarian background so I have mainly made fresh Hungarian sausage with my family's recipe from the old country. I have an old cast iron stuffer that was handed down to me from my Grandpa to my Dad to me. I still use it to this day.

I have 2 gas grills (Weber Genesis and a Kenmore)and a Weber Kettle charcoal grill that I use for grilling and smoking. Would love to get an electric or propane smoker iin the near future though:)

I love kayaking and camping and being in nature. Oh, and I LOVE MEAT.

Reactions: kruizer
Welcome to the board! Say hello to the Wisconsin parks for me, I had many good visits in the 1990s, and feed some mosquitos for me.

Welcome back to SMF!

I spent a total of 4 weeks in Milwaukee in the late 1970's. One of my fonder memories was the tour of the Miller Brewery.
Gleaming 6 story copper brewing vats (tanks?), the filling, certainly make it faster than I could drink it.
At the end, they served us Miller Lite, then Miller Highlife, and a dark beer (Heineken?).
Most memorable. Like an Appetizer, then a Main Course, then a Dessert.
I was there for electrical training on a huge P&H Electric Mining Shovel.

But I remember the brewery and the beer... :rolleyes:

texas-animated-flag-1.gif
Good afternoon and welcome to the forum from a beautiful day here in East Texas, and the best site on the web. Lots of great people with tons of information on just about everything.

Gary

Hi,
I’m a new guy too! Started smoking meat a good few years ago and love doing it. For many years I have worked at steakhouses in NYC and worked for a high end butcher for a period of time. Cooking is therapeutic and smoking has become a real passion of mine. Working where I have worked enables me to get fantastic meat at reasonable prices. I have been struggling with a smoker I was given by a friend who moved into a townhouse and had nowhere to put his big green egg. Lucky for me to inherit such a nice smoker but I am not comfortable with it after a year playing with it. I have had two cabinet smokers, propane fired and this green egg is so different. Any helpful hints from anyone on how to overcome my frustration and feel more comefortable with this smoker are greatly appreciated! I’ve heard it’s all about air flow with these things. I still use the propane smoker but would love to get more proficient with the big green egg.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky