Hello from Atlanta

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

itsmetimd

Fire Starter
Original poster
Sep 13, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Hi everyone,

My name's Tim and I live in Woodstock, GA - a suburb north of Atlanta.  I'm very new to smokers and I just got my first 'real' smoker a couple days ago.  I've got plenty of experience using a gas grill but have always wanted to try a real fire smoker.  I picked up a Brinkmann Smoke'n Pit and did a few mods to it - fire box, chimney extension and a heat deflector.

I'm trying my hand at some smoked turkey legs right now and will have a true trial by fire this weekend as 10 of my friends descend on Atlanta to drink beer, smoke cigars and eat ribs - guess who's in charge of the ribs?

Thanks for the great forum, I look forward to getting to know everyone here.

Tim

icon_cool.gif

First off Welcome Tim to SMF.  You'll like it here for there are alot of really good folks here that would just love to help you with just about anything to do with smoking. Now there are alot of proven recipes for some amazing things here too. So if you need sign up for the E-Course it's free and it will give you the basics of smoking and some good methods to use also. So the next big thing for you to do is go out and get you something to smoke and if you happen to have any questions just post it here and we will be happy to answer them for you.

Welcome To Your New Addiction

Howdy Tim,

welcome to SMF!!!

Check out the 3-2-1 method for spare ribs . Make sure your thermos are on the money and it's pretty foolproof.

Welcome aboard!   As eman suggested, I'd definitely go with the 3-2-1 version.  Myself, I prefer 3-1 1/2-1...but you'll need to experiment to find the finished texture you like.  Get a good rub and go for it!  The one offered here on SWF is a great start and I don't think will disappoint you.  Happy Smokin'!

Welcome to the SMF. Glad to have you here. Lots of good folks, great recipes and knowledge. Looking forward to your first qview.
icon_cool.gif

Welcome... and that's the way to dive right in there. Doing those mods and cooking for a crowd right off the bat. Kudos!  Oh... there is a saying we have around here. If there ain't no pictures then it never happened. We call those pics Q-View. So, be sure to take plenty of pictures of the things you smoke. There is a wiki on how to post pics. Here's the link in case you need it: http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/wiki/picture-post-tutorial

Later... when you realize you've become addicted to smoking meat and this site, there is a support group we'll direct to. I'm sure there is one in your area. The group I go to is a great bunch of guys and gals. There is no judgment at all. Except of course at our annual BBQ competition. But those people are KCBS certified judges so there judgment is a good thing. Mostly though, we just meet once week at someone's house to talk about our addiction. Usually around a smoker of some sort. Unless there is a sporting even going on at the time. Then we may go back and forth between the smoker and the T.V.. Most of us drink prescription beer. The idea is to support one another when someone has a recipe or innovative idea that didn't work out. Swap ideas that did work out. Set alibi's for all day smokes so our spouses wont wonder where we are. Trade ideas on how to get the sweet sweet aroma of hickory smoke out of our clothes before we go home... you know.. that sort of stuff. Pretty much like every other kind of support group.

Hello Tim, and welcome to the SMF. Nice introduction, and congrats on the new smoker. Glad to know that you're making use of some of the great information available to you. It's all good my friend.

Thanks for the welcomes everyone.  I'll definitely get some pics of my ribs going this weekend and get my first Q-View going!  I signed up for the 5-day beginner course and got day 2 today - I'm learning more all the time here.

Welcome to SMF, Glad to have you with us.

This is the place to learn, lots of good info and helpful friendly Members.

For those of you new to Smoking, be sure to check out Jeff's 5 Day Smoking Basics eCourse.

Click Here it's"FREE" ...5 Day eCourseE

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky