Hello from Atlanta

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

unometooo

Original poster
Aug 7, 2016
My name is Shawn and I was just given a OKJ Highland for birthday by my boys.  I must confess that this is not my first smoker, a few years ago I had a Brinkmann smoker.  I was so bad at using it, I finally just started using it as a charcoal grill.  I thought that the more the thing smoked, the better it would be and I ruined everything I tried to smoke except chicken.  I started watching YT videos and did some reading and have in theory learned the error of my past ways.  I say in theory because I know that smoking is a hands on thing and practice will make perfect.  They bought the grill so I purchased some mods and have slowly put it together. I say slowly because I work six days a week and don't have a set schedule at work, I just work all the time. I have yet to season it, but as soon as I have a day to spare, that is on the top of my to do list.

Mods already done:

Seals on both doors

Fire basket

Sealant around the two halves of the firebox and between the firebox and the smoker

Tuning plate and water pan

additional thermometer

Things left to do:

I purchased two more to put at grate level, I just don't know if I want to add them because I also purchased a Maverick et-733 and some probe ports, those are in the mail now

still need to extend the chimney down to grate level???

Hopefully this wasn't long winded and thanks for ready.  Happy smoking everyone!

Hello Shawn and  
welcome1.gif
  to you.

Man, that is a pretty new smoker.

You'll get it, lots of great knowledge and experience here

and people willing to share those things.

Have fun with it.

Ed

Welcome from SC, Shawn. It's good to have you on this great site. There are a lot of really fine folks here who are always eager to share their ideas, recipes and tips. All you have to do is ask and keep on reading.

It sure sounds like you're well on your way with your new smoker. I have my therms at just about where yours are and I have 2 more down at grate level that are on the FB and stack ends. Look at my avatar.

Good luck and good smokin', Joe. :grilling_smilie:

texas.gif
  Good morning and welcome to the forum, from another hot day here in East Texas, and the best site on the web. Lots of great people with tons of information on just about  everything.

Gary

We, I finally got to do a dry run last night and this thing performed flawlessly! Tonight, different story. It took about an hour and a half to come up to temperature, and when I opened it, it took almost 45 minutes to recover! The only thing I've done differently is I put chunks of pecan on top of the charcoal. The only other thing I can think of is last night on the dry run (only took 30 minutes to come up to temperature) is the water pan. Positive, it is holding temperature pretty well once I get it there.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky