Hello Fellow Smokers!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

webman27

Original poster
Apr 23, 2010
Massillon, Ohio
Hi everyone! I am new to the world of smoking and have just recently purchased a 40" masterbuilt electric smoker. A friend/coworker recommended this site and I have been reading up for a few weeks now and am very impressed. I know most of the die hards would not even acknowledged an electric smoker but being a rookie it seemed like a good choice and my first shot with babybacks came out great, first pork butt not so good because my party was rushing me, second round was fantastic!

On to my first question. I am having a birthday party for my 2yr old on Sunday and want to try my hand at brisket. I have ordered a whole untrimmed choice or prime certified angus beef brisket from our local grocery store's meat department.

I have been doing a ton of reading up on tips and techniques and my concern is that I would like to have it ready to eat around noon on Sunday. My question is whether I can do the majority of the smoking Saturday evening, a solid 6+ hours with adding wood chips the whole time. Around midnight or 1 in the morning I was thinking about wrapping the brisket in foil and putting it back in the smoker and setting the temp around 190 and leaving it in there all night, taking it out around 10 in the morning and letting it rest for a couple hours.

Anyone think this will work or will it dry out being in the smoker so long with no smoke? I also have a water pan I figured I would make sure to keep full.

Sorry for the long post!

I think, if anything, it would become more moist sitting in the foil in the oven that long. But I haven't actually done this, so I'll let someone who has provide you with a more solid answer.

That is exactly the way I do most of mine. I also put a foil pan under the meat with 3 cups of beef stock and some thinly sliced onions. In the morning take out the meat and let it sit and take the juice to the freezer till the fat rises, then defat and use the aujus with the meat. Are you pulling or slicing?

Good luck!

Electric, propane or charcoal, it's all good. Whatever you choose there's not a problem on here. This isn't a bash site.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

You could start it the night before. Depends on the weight, but most of the time I start at about 8PM. Smoke and spritz for the first three hours or so, and then let it ride until I get up in the morning and start the spritz again. You do NOT want to keep adding wood through the whole cook in an MES. You can easily oversmoke in the MES. It's better to add small amounts of wood often to get a nice thin smoke until the meat hits 130 to 140. (which should be in the first three hours) Dont panick when you see the temp coming up fast. You will get at least one if not two stalls on the brisket. My favorite trick for smoke in the MES is to have a bowl of wet wood chips, and the bag of dry right beside it. Each time I add to the hopper I add about a handful of wood total. 2/3 of that is wet, and the other part dry. This gives me a more prolonged thin blue smoke. Like Ron, I put a foil pan under the brisket, but I use a combo of water, beer, apple cider vinager, and a few dashes of hot sauce. With that being said I did a two foil pan method on a chuckie this weekend, that came out great. I put the chuckie in one pan and my normal water / beer mix in the other. About 4 hours later I drained the juices out of the chuckie pan and made the aujur with that. Awesome stuff..

Good luck with the smoke. your going to love the MES!

First off welcome Web dude to SMF. You'll like it here cause there are abunch of good folks here that would just love to help you out with just about anything to do with smoking. We really like to have newbies here because they can bring in a new propective to how things are done. There's nothing like a new set of eyes to give and new way to make things that little differant to make things alittle better. So I hope you know about the Qview here.
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...ad.php?t=58920
Here's a link to photobucket it's free and easy to download pictures. Then if your really new to smoking Look up the E-course.
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...play.php?f=127
It's also free and it will give you the basics of smoking. So after all of that you just need to go grab something to smoke and if you have any question just post them here and we will answer it quickly so you don't have any mishaps with your smoke.
Welcome To Your New Addiction

I just wanted to thank everyone for the quick replies and welcomes to the site! This forum came very highly recommended and I am quickly finding out why. I will definitely take a look at those couple links as I am a complete rookie. My only experience with smoking meat was my first shot with 3 slabs of babybacks and a pork butt the first run (after the break in smoke) and then I smoked 6 slabs and 3 butts for my birthday party serving about 50+ two weeks ago. I received rave reviews on the ribs and pulled pork so I was very happy since other than internet research and talking with my buddy I had absolutely no experience.

I would like to ultimately slice the flat and maybe pull the point on the brisket?

The model masterbuilt I bought comes with a water pan that sits below the bottom rack. For the pork extravaganza I filled the pan with Simply Apple juice and it seemed to work well. There was tons of moisture built up in the smoker the entire time.

Based on the comments my plan is this I think:
  • Rub and maybe even inject the brisket on Thursday night
  • Fire up the smoker Saturday evening, between 6 and 8 so I get a good solid 6 or 7 hours of smoking in at around 230 degrees
  • Between midnight and 1 or whenever the brisket hits about 140 take it out and wrap in foil
  • Turn the smoker down to about 190 and let it go till morning without adding any additional wood chips
  • Take it out around 10 in the morning (assuming the internal temp is around 190 which is sure should be) and throw it in a cooler
  • Slice around noon
If anyone has any critiques on this plan I am very good at taking criticism :)

I'll be sure to post pictures and let everyone know how it goes on Sunday. Thanks again!

I'd foil it at 160 instead of 140 and take it to 205 so it will have a better bark and be more juicy. Just my opinion.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky