Hello Everyone!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokin mississippi lady

Original poster
Sep 29, 2007
Hazlehurst, MS
Hey Ya'll! My name is Tamra and I am new to this Smokin stuff. I was diagnosed with Vertigo a year ago and have had to be on a low sodium diet ever since. Needless to say, I have had to learn how to cook all over again and have become on unofficial nutritionist! LOL! My husband is an avid deer hunter and I look forward to Deer Season because he fills my freezer and we don't have to buy meat for about 8 months of the year. I love deer sausage, but on my low sodium restrictions I can't have it! Stinks! So, we have bought the equipment this year to make our own sausage and that includes a smoker! Woo Hoo! LOL! We have just bought a Masterbuilt Electric Smoker. We got it from Bass Pro and the salesman there had been smoking meat since the 70's and was very helpful in tellin us a mix of woods to use as well as using juices in the water pan for extra flavor. I am here to not only learn more about smoking meat but I am also looking for no sodium rubs, marinades and recipes (for example the stuffed pork loin sounds awesome....has anyone tried to make it low sodium? If you have send me the recipe please!). Well that's about all for now. I look forward to talking to you all at one time or another and I'll be reading the boards! See you online!

Welcome to SMF! Check out the 5 day ecourse, and then the rubs and sauces forum....Hmm seems to me I have heard of some spice combos that make up for ALOT of the salt in a recipe...

I'll poke about a bit, and I'll wager at least 20 other folks will do the same here!

Great group of people this place has collected :{)

Welcome to SMF! Keep on asking those questions, the folks here will keep answering them!

Take care, have fun, and do good!

Regards,

Meowey

PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
Welcome to the SMF
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Welcome to the SMF, I substitute with a light salt in mine but I'm interested in the answers you get

Smokin Mississippi Lady
Welcome to SMF !!!

Besides myself, there are quite a few members here that make their own sausage. Personally I make quite a few pounds of deer sausage a year, mostly in November and December. One of SMF's members DeeJayDebi has many recipes available and I think you should be able to make substitutions that will work for you. Here is a link ot her recipe's - http://www.deejayssmokepit.net/Sausa...C-Sausages.pdf Debi is very knowledgable and helpful, she is at a BBQ competition this weekend, but I am sure will be back shortly and may have some suggestions fr you.

Glad to have you aboard. I also believe that Debi has some good recipes and I know she has a no salt one that she has for brisket. I use this for lots of things. It is made form all powders like garlic, onion, chili, etc

Welcome to the SMF Tamra, glad you found us! You have definitely come to the best place on the net for all things smokin'... have fun!

Welcome to the SMF, glad to have you with us Tamra. Lots of friendly people with great ideas to share. As was mentioned Debi has a lot of info when it comes to sausage making. She is at a q competition this weekend, but when she returns I'm sure she'll be able to steer you in the right direction.

Welcome to the forum Tamra. It is nice to have you join us. There are alot of friendly folks here who are willing to help so feel free to ask questions, share your adventures, and to draw from the tremendous amount of knowledge found here.

Hello Tamra, welcomt to the SMF. I know a little about virtigo, my wife deals with it also. So glad you've joined our membership, there are plenty of friendly experienced smokin' folks who can help you with most any questions. Good luck on your quest.

Tamra:

It looks like you are in good hands and have already received some very good information. Probably nothing more I can add to that.

But, I can add another hearty welcome!! Nice to have you on board. I know you will enjoy yourself.

Skip

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky