Hello everyone, from Roy, Utah

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

quychang

Original poster
Jun 16, 2014
Just a brief note to introduce myself to the group. I'm a 61 yo retiree that had a propane smoker many years ago, and we enjoyed it quite a bit, though it was something of a challenge to control the heat enough to be successful. With experimentation and using steam as much as smoke, we got some pretty good results but it was a constant chore to watch, add fuel, keep water level up, etc. Anyway it finally fell into disuse and went away, probably to good will.

Fast forward 25 years or so and for Fathers day this year I got a small Traeger pellet smoker. I've been researching pellet smokers for awhile, and I finally chose the Junior Elite Traeger, hoping that with the folding leg kit it will fit in a compartment on our motorhome.

Meantime, I've got it set up, and burned in today, and I'm debating the first piece of meat to try. I have Hickory pellets, recommended by one of the salesmen as a reasonable "all around" smoke, until I want to start investing in different pellets for different meats, etc.

It's great to be here, I perused the forum for awhile before joining, so I know there is lots of great information just waiting for me to read it, meantime my stomach is rumbling and I'm thinking it might be time to run to the store and see if they have a nice London Broil or possibly a Tri Tip. Hopefully my grilling recipe for London Broil will translate well to smoking, if so I'll definitely have to take some pictures of my first attempt.

I'm sure open to helpful tips, particularly about using pellet smokers, and smoking in general.  Thanks for allowing me to become a part of a great forum, I hope to be an active participant.

Mel

Hello and Welcome to our addiction.  A word of warning: There is no 12 step program for this one!  Many good folk here with a load of experience that they are more than willing to share.  If you have specific questions just start a thread and someone with experience will be along soon to offer advice.  All info you can provide us with such as smoker type, location and so on will help us answer any questions you may have, and pictures help a bunch.  Spend some time doing some research on the forums, tons of advice and recipes already available there.  Check out Jeff’s 5 day smoking E-Course ( link below ) that will help you get started.  We look forward to your contributions.  Have fun.  Good luck.  Keep Smokin!

Danny

http://www.smoking-meat.com/smoking-basics-ecourse

Hey Mel, hello and welcome from East Texas, how did your tri-tip turn out ?

Gary S

Well, to be honest, the usually reliable butcher shop at the local grocer didn't have any that looked good. So I came home empty handed. I did check the freezer, and have a small one I previously purchased thawing now. It's a cold rainy day, so I'm not sure if I'll do it today, or wait one more in hopes of better weather tomorrow. I'll try to post pictures, depending on my questionable expertise with a camera.

Oh, and thanks for the welcomes. I've visited West Texas, but never gotten over to the Eastern side of the Republic. And Danny, I would love to visit Great Britain but so far I haven't had the honor. 

Mel

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky