Hello all

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

imhungry

Original poster
Nov 8, 2006
North TX
Just purchased my first smoker and i'm lookin forward to getting started. I posted a ? in the wood smoker forum so I won't ask it again here. But I'm a little confused on seasoning.

Welcome to SMF imhungry. I ain't hungry. I just ate the last of the pulled pork I made last weekend. Which means I'll be cravin' more by this weekend.
There are lots of post here about seasoning that smoker. Check them out along with the rest. This place is a smokin' library.

Hey, imhungry! Glad to have you here.

Seasoning a smoker is mainly done to prevent rust for building up on the inside of your smoker. Take a good quality vegetable oil (I use canola oil) wipe down the interior of your smoker (some will use lard or bacon grease) and fire that puppy up. Check your smoker manual-different brands have a recommended temp. for seasoning the smoker. Basically, the oil burns into the open pores of the metal and forms a carbon layer that will protect the metal from rust.

Hope this answers your seasoning question.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky