Hear ye all!

Discussion in 'Pork' started by richtee, Nov 14, 2007.

1. richtee

richtee Smoking Guru OTBS Member

ds7662 has just delivered to me one of the better hunks of procuitto I have seen! For POSTAGE!! What guy! And a bonus pak of panacetta...what a GUY!

POINTS!

2. squeezy

squeezy Master of the Pit OTBS Member

How'd ya pull that one off dude? [​IMG]

3. richtee

Send him a message...evidently he's in the loop for meat 'samples" :{)

4. ds7662

ds7662 Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

Thanks for the Kudo's Rich. You are very welcome.
    Squeezy I made the offer a while back in a thread where Smokie Okie was looking for pancetta.
    I have a family member that works for Ferucci Foods. Makers/sellers of fine meat products. This person happens to be a manager so they are able to get the meat when they bust open boxes for inspection. Since open boxes can't be sold they give it to my family member. They give it to me since they work around the meat they dont want it.
    I give the meat away to any takers. I only keep a little. The offer is still open. PM me if you are interested. You only pay postage. The meat is free!

5. squeezy

I missed that thread ...

Problem I think is you are in Virginia and I'm in Ontario ... that and a thing called "Customs". Otherwise, I'd be all over that offer like a dog on a bone!
    Thanks.

6. deejaydebi

deejaydebi Smoking Guru

How does one mail meat without it going bad?

7. richtee

S'cured, Deb.

8. ds7662

Debi the Procuitto is cured in a way that it would take for every for it to go bad. Those hams hung in an unrefrigerated room for weeks before they were ever packed to go to the stores. The pancetta is hit and miss. If it is cold weather it can be chanced. That I why I only sent one pack to Rich to try.
    Just like summersausge and pepperonni sticks that don't require refrig until opened or sliced I guess.

9. squeezy

Next question is ... border crossing!

We can't take fruit, firewood and God knows what across .... and we can't bring meat into the states ... don't know about the reverse!!!

10. flagriller

flagriller Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

That's all I can say. I grew up in Southern New Jersey, and remember all the dellies and good food. Brings back memories, and you are one very lucky person. I'm jelous, so to speak.

11. ds7662

It doesn't look easy Squeezy. (no ryhme intended)
    I was just scoping the Homeland security website and alot of stuff has to be done. I will ask when I send out next package though.

12. ds7662

Ok, Here is a list of stuff I get. This is from time to time and not all the time. Sometimes I get alot at once and then none for a while.
    Pepperonni sandwich slices
    Pepperonni Sticks
    Multiple types of Salami sandwich slices
    " " Salami Sticks
    Pancetta slices
    Pancetta cubed
    Pancetta Logs 5lbs
    Procuitto Hams

I have gotten alot of stuff that I had no idea what it was cause I had never heard of it.

13. squeezy

Prefer the rhyme over the difficulty ... thanks!

14. richtee

Honestly,it was soo well packed, and sealed i doubt a dog would have given the box a second sniff. What's to lose? Postage? go for it!

15. deejaydebi

deejaydebi Smoking Guru

I can understand proscuitto, pepperoni, summer sausage shipping well but pancetta? That's bacon [​IMG]

16. richtee

Cured too, right? Not smoked but cured. Have not opened it yet...

17. richtee

Had to check it out. Delicious! Just a light touch of fennel...

On edit: I don't think I'd try shipping it any distance in the summer tho...Jerky it ain't. Most places shipped goods sit are not heated, or not very much, or cooled in the summer...ewww!

18. stringcheese paul

stringcheese paul Fire Starter

How often do you get the pepperoni and salami?

19. ds7662

I get those items more frequently. The Big items not so much.

20. stringcheese paul

stringcheese paul Fire Starter

Id be interested in taking those off your hands next time you get them. What would be a good estimate of postage to omaha,ne?