Head to Head: Brine Vs Dry Cure

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Disco, I don't quite understand the cure method, You say 1 day for every 1/2 thickness and that 1 1/2 inches thick as three 1/2 inches, 2X3 is six days, But wouldn't it be only 3 days since you only have three 1/2 inches?
Thanks for catching that. In the first sentence I should have said 2 days for every half inch. I have corrected that. The following two lines:
  • 2 inches thick has four 1/2 inches, 2X4 is eight days, add two or three, cure for 10 to 11 days.
  • 1 1/2 inches thick as three 1/2 inches, 2X3 is six days, add two or three, cure for 8 or 9 days. 
Is the correct formula.

Your formula is twice what is shown in Bearcarver's step-by-steps.  For example, in his "New - Canadian Bacon" step-by-step, here is what he posted:

Calculating curing time:
The method I use for calculating curing time is simple.
Measure the thickest spot of all of the pieces of meat you plan to cure.
Figure how many "half inches" there are in that measurement.
Add 2 to that number. That will be the minimum time that I would cure that piece of meat.
Then I personally like to add 2 or 3 more days to be extra safe (you can't over-cure, but you can under-cure).
Example:
My thickest piece was 2 1/2 inches. There are 5 "Half inches" in 2 1/2".
So that would be 5 Days plus 2 days = 7 days minimum curing time.
Then I always add 2 or 3 days to that, so I planned on curing this stuff for 10 days.

So his formula is 1 day per half inch of thickness, not 2?????

I guess Bear and I disagree on that then. I would use 12 days for 2 1/2 inches.

Your formula is twice what is shown in Bearcarver's step-by-steps.  For example, in his "New - Canadian Bacon" step-by-step, here is what he posted:

Calculating curing time:
Add 2 to that number. That will be the minimum time that I would cure that piece of meat.
Then I personally like to add 2 or 3 more days to be extra safe (you can't over-cure, but you can under-cure).
Example:
Then I always add 2 or 3 days to that, so I planned on curing this stuff for 10 days.

Calculating curing time:
Example:

By the way, the difference between 10 days and 12 days in curing is minimal. Bear refers to this as a minimum. I prefer to leave it in a couple of days longer. Both are fine.

There are folks out there who swear that the longer the meat stays in the cure, the better is the flavor. A typical pork belly dry cured for 30+ days is not unheard of, and some people swear by it, FOLLOWED by an additional 30+ days rinsed and resting out of the cure. I usually don't rest my bacon for that additional 30+ days but I have and do allow them to dry cure for 30+ days. They taste phenomenal.

There are folks out there who swear that the longer the meat stays in the cure, the better is the flavor. A typical pork belly dry cured for 30+ days is not unheard of, and some people swear by it, FOLLOWED by an additional 30+ days rinsed and resting out of the cure. I usually don't rest my bacon for that additional 30+ days but I have and do allow them to dry cure for 30+ days. They taste phenomenal.
If you rest it for 30 days it will dry out.

It's wrapped at that point. No way for air to get to it (hopefully).
I have let it go for up to 14 days (things cup up) but that sounds like a major cure!

I mostly like  the dry cure. years ago my ex used a salt brine for salmon which turned out real good. I think she only used salt in the brine.
My missus does a salmon brine to die for!

Loved the play by play!!   Awesome job and looks tasty!!! 
Thanks. It is a little embarressing because this was one of my early posts. I actually do things a little differently now.

Those hams looked luvly I got 30lb at BJs a month ago still frozen(I ask if they have any in back still frozen not referee it) I like the nice simple brine. Thanks

would you mind sharing your missus salmon brine, thanks
Here is a post where we made the recipe:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/150684/peppered-salmon-for-canadian-thanksgiving
Those hams looked luvly I got 30lb at BJs a month ago still frozen(I ask if they have any in back still frozen not referee it) I like the nice simple brine. Thanks
It is actually Pop's Brine and I suggest you read his post before using it. He is way more knowledgeable than me.

Here is the link:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/110799/pops6927s-wet-curing-brine

Very nice, Disco! The only thing I have dry cured is loin with Morton TQ. Morton calls it "Canadian Bacon"
I know better, but SWMBO loves it and says "Leave it alone and make more!" .
I will admit I'm a sucker for brine because it's so simple. A 2 gallon bucket in the back of the fridge and out of sight out of mind for a couple of weeks.
Thanks for doing a comparison for us!
Points for the idea and lots of pics!

Dan

Thanks for the link. I have some salmon in the freezer I'm wanting to smoke. I think I'll try the brine and see how it comes out.
It is well tested on the site.

Last edited:

The FSIS recommendation for producing and storing raw bacon are:

"Dry-cured" bacon has a premeasured amount of cure mixture applied or rubbed onto the bacon belly surfaces, completely covering them. Additional cure may be rubbed in over a number of days, but the amount of added sodium nitrite cannot exceed 200 parts per million (ppm). After the curing phase, the bacon may be left to hang for up to 2 weeks in order for the moisture to be drawn out. Less time is needed if it is going to be smoked. Because of the lengthy processing time and labor required, dry-cured bacon is more expensive than the more mass-produced, pumped bacon.

If sliced then dry cured bacon can be stored for up to 4 weeks at 40 F or below. If slab then it can be stored for 4-6 weeks at 40 F or below.

"Immersion-cured" bacon is placed in a brine solution containing salt, nitrite, and flavoring material or in a container with salt, nitrite, and flavoring material for 2 to 3 days. Sugar, honey, or maple syrup may be added to the brine. The meat must then be left to hang until it is cured.

For non dry cured bacon the recommended storage time is only 7 days without freezing as it has a higher final water activity (aw) than when dry cured.

Even for slab dry cured bacon the 60+ days mentioned above is right at the top end of the FSIS storage recommendation limits.

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal...at-preparation/bacon-and-food-safety/ct_index

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky