Having trouble finding a brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
My local grocery stores don't carry them either.I go to Sams or Walmart or Costco or Resturant Depot.. Or maybe there is a local meat shop? Good luck......

I've always expected to find such things at the same places you've looked. Imagine my surprise when I found full briskets (and lots of them) at our WalMart. I don't do grocery shopping there, but now I can usually find the larger cuts there when I don't feel like driving a couple towns over to the butcher shop.

cool.gif

I would go to some of them places that Mike (Jax Gator) said to look in. You have to be able to buy a good brisket somewhere in your town. So keep looking for you always want some good brisket for some really good entertaining grub.

I googled "upstate sc butcher" and found some stuff.  Where exactly are you?  There's an Anderson Butcher Shop I might have to stop at next time I drive by Easley.

I'm in  Spartanburg, SC. Did find a butcher Greenville....thanks for the idea. 

Last edited:
Maybe you can find a local rancher or wholesaler, too.  While they typically sell in bulk, sometimes you can custom-order specific cuts from them.  This is the case where I am -- I can call up the ranch on Monday and say "I need such-and-such", and he will have it fresh for me on Thursday.

For some reason up here in Boston, the local chain stores dont carry fresh brisket uncorned or pork butts. being in food service I buy direct from a large meat packer. When I have asked at the stores, they look at me like i have two heads. not alot of people do smoking in this area. There are some, but not untill I started did people on my block even now how to do it and how long and a labor of love it is. Now when I get the smoker going they know that good things are on the way. I always share, but not the burnt bits. lol

Lucky for me I have a very nice market close by with a truly awesome meat department. It's chock full of good butchers and they will cut anything I want special for my  smoker. They have great meat there too. For anyone near me, Los Gatos, CA, or the SF bay area, it's a small chain called Larnadis. http://www.lunardis.com/

However, I still do buy some stuff at Costco.

Where in upstate SC, I went to HS in Cheraw?

A little TidBit about Walmart meat (not sure about Sam's). It is pre-packaged days before it reaches there distribution centers, it may stay there for a few days before it reaches the store so they pump them full with preservatives. My wife found this out a few years ago when the company started changing structually after the Walton's were no longer running the business. I have bought the same cut meat there and at the local grocery store and there is a difference in look and in taste. I know several people, some Walmart employee's, who have stopped buying meat there because of this. Just a little heads up.

Can't help the OP but it looks like they've found a butcher for their needs.

http://www.bjs.com/general/locator/map_directions?locationId=018

I've been able to find flat's @ BJ's pretty reliably. Granted, they're smaller (4# to 6#) and no whole packers, but I'm there fairly often anyhow. Also, they've almost always got single packed butts. every now and again I can find the two pack.

For some reason up here in Boston, the local chain stores dont carry fresh brisket uncorned or pork butts.

Last edited:
You could always talk to the manager of your local grocery store and see if he can order one for you.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky