Having smoke issues with Dyna Glo LP dual burner

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Jman7611

Original poster
Nov 16, 2020
Bought this smoker a couple of months ago, and haven't ever been able to get and decent smoke going. I've tried chips, chunks, and a combination of the two. If the doors are closed it will basically just char them but never produce any smoke.

I have an MES30 from probably 15 or more years ago and used to have that problem. I discovered during warmer weather, the element would not come on as often and the chips never really got going, and during cooler weather I would go through much more. Apparently the insulation is quite good.
For a long time I only ran the smoker during cooler or cold weather. I discovered the mailbox mod and have been running the smoker any time of year with much better and more consistent results.
I don’t know anything about your smoker, but the solution may be something similar to the mailbox mod, which is basically just external smoke generation (pipe it in the smoker) and only use the smoker for temp control.

I have an MES30 from probably 15 or more years ago and used to have that problem. I discovered during warmer weather, the element would not come on as often and the chips never really got going, and during cooler weather I would go through much more. Apparently the insulation is quite good.
For a long time I only ran the smoker during cooler or cold weather. I discovered the mailbox mod and have been running the smoker any time of year with much better and more consistent results.
I don’t know anything about your smoker, but the solution may be something similar to the mailbox mod, which is basically just external smoke generation (pipe it in the smoker) and only use the smoker for temp control.
Thanks for the reply! Might be something to take a look at.

3 Months ago I bought the Dyna Glo 42" Wide Body Smoker. I did a few quick mods right away. I bought gasket seal tape and added that to the front edges of the unit. I modified the firebox vents to no longer flop around by adding flat washers.
I found that instead of filling the smoker box completely I just put down a 1" layer of chips. Just have to refill it more often. To get these to burn you need both burners on and the vents wide open. Its not a set and go smoker. That's the fault of the cheap valves. I'm looking to replace them with quality parts. They don't seem to have a middle area. Either a low flame or a medium to high flame. By only using one burner I can get a constant 235 degrees. Higher than we like. If I set the one low, temp drops to 195 degrees. So I will let the burners go for the first 3 hours to get a good smoke and then cut back for the next 3 hours with pork ribs. Beef ribs take 11 hours and I spend very 30 minutes raising lowering the burners. Sun also effects this smoker. If the afternoon sun beats on the smoker it adds 20 degrees to temps. My electric smoker was a set and go smoker. I have however gotten the best smoke rings ever with this smoker.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky