Have you tried smoked garlic yet? Do you want to?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fire it up

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 24, 2009
South Jersey
Nothing super new or special here but I'm posting this in the hopes that some folks who have never smoked garlic before will see this and give it a shot.

I had a chuckie on yesterday and realized I hadn't smoked any garlic in a while so I threw a few heads on.

Smoking garlic is incredibly simple and tastes amazing!
I took 3 heads and cut the tops off to the point where most of the cloves were exposed, drizzled them with a little bit of olive oil and seasoning, one with kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper, one with my chipotle rub and one with garlic powder (was curious what it would taste like)

Before throwing them on the smoker I started wrapping them in foil, this is the way i learned to do it but wondered if it really made a difference so I left one head unwrapped and went ahead with the experiment.
Smoke time is 2-3 hours @225-250 depending on how "roasted" you want them to come out, 3 hours will be like a pasty oven roasted, 2 hours will still mash fine but not so paste like and 1 hour if you are planning on mincing it.

So good and great on breads, in soups, rice, heck, anything you would use garlic in!

Verdicts:
The one with garlic powder was nothing special, salt and pepper are the way to go.
Wrapped in foil or not:
There was no difference between the two so from now on I won't bother wasting the foil.
Taste:
Well...amazing, I mean it's garlic and it's smoked...how could it not be good?

PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif
Those look pretty good. Thanks for the recipe.

Yes Sir Jimbo....Even roasted is good.I love taking the roasted/smoked garlic adding olive oil,salt,pepper and some herbs and crushing in a bowl and using as a rub on stuff.....

Nice work on showing this.......Simple,but so good on anything....Especially us garlic lovers....
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Awesome as always FIU. Never tried it on the smoker, always in the oven or grill. Will for sure give that one a shot. Looks great.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

AMEN, DUDE! I don't do it a lot, but when I do, I "squirt" a clove on a big o'l slice a homemade bread - you can spread it like butta
icon_mrgreen.gif

Those look great, FIU. Do you grow your own garlic? If you do, those are nice!
Tracey

Aaaaaaaaaaaah, brother, there's no substitute for smoked heads of garlic (love the jumbo's smoked).

Just like I say, if it's smoked, eat it!

Thanks for tossing some inspiration our way!

Eric

smoked garlic is a favorite,

I eat it as is, add it to salad dressings I make, and other things(abt filling, etc.). Good stuff.

Never tried it in the smoker. I will definately do this. Would be great in roasted garlic mashed potatoes.

How long will it keep and how do you store it? Fridge? Freezer?

This year is my first go at growing garlic. Planted them late last fall and they should be ready to harvest sometime early this Summer so fingers crossed on that one.

I always keep i t in the fridge just wrapped in plastic wrap, at least a few weeks it will keep but never had it stick around longer than that.
Thinking about slicing some, putting in the dehydrator and drying then grinding to make smoked garlic powder.

Great Q-view Jim thanks for sharing. I haven't done garlic in a while but it will be on this weekend.
I like the dehydrator idea, let us know how it turns out.

FIU- thanks for the idea about the garlic. Did some tonight while doing chicken thighs and veggies.

Came out really nice after 3 hours. Maybe a bit firmer than my usual oven roast, but certainly very usuable and will be a great addition to other stuff I am cooking.

Thanks again. I would have never thought about that.
points.gif

Great idea! I do roasted garlic all the time in the oven, but this is way better! I love putting roasted garlic in my mashed potatos.

What JIR said...........problem is I'm on a dam**d South Beach diet for the next 6 months so Roasted or Smoked garlic mashed potatoes are off limits for a while. That sucks.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky