Have you ever or can I smoke ribs the day before and finish them in the oven the following day?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chaze215

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 20, 2011
New Jersey
My parents would like me to smoke some babybacks for Sunday. However, im going to be busy on Sunday and not able to tend to the smoker. So is it possible to smoke them for 2 hours on Saturday and then carry thru on Sunday with 2 hours foil wrapped in the oven and then the last hour in the oven? I wasnt sure how this would work or if someone has done something like this in the past. What do you guys think? Thank for the feedback in advance!

Chaz

I would finish the ribs all the way tomorrow and reheat in foil in the oven at say 200-250* oven until warm (20-30 min at most).  You don't say what kind of ribs or what method.  If your doing a version of 3-2-1 or 2-2-1, I would finish the cook, cool the ribs to room temp, re-foil, refrigerate and reheat on Sunday.

Whatever you do you need to get them above 140 in 4 hours. After that you can refrigerate them & finish them in the oven.

I usually make 3-6 slabs at a time.  We may only eat 1 or 2 slabs, and I freeze the rest.

The 3-2-1 method works very well for me  I kinda do a variation by smoking for 3 hours at 180, foil and back in at 225° for 2 hours and then I finish on the grill for on low heat for about 10 minutes. 

I would do the 3-2, and finish the next day in the oven or possibly the grill

When I freeze them, I just put the ribs in the oven at around 250° - 275° to reheat them, and finish them on the grill.

Todd

Thanks guys! I use the 2-2-1 method for babybacks. So I think my best bet would be to do the 2-2, bring them to room temp, foil them up and refrigerate til tomorrow and then toss them in the oven or on the grill. I will let you guys know how it works out. Thanks again!

Chaz

goodluck.gif
Chaz

Hope they worked out well for ya

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky