Hares Chase & some quail "diavola"

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

moikel

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jul 26, 2011
Sydney &Greenwell Point Australia

A big Barossa shiraz. The vineyard & winery are a side project for the former chief winemaker at Penfolds.He now has a desk job with Treasury wines but used to make all the really big deal wines,Grange,389,St Henri,707 ,407,etc.

They bought a fruit salad block with a lot of old vines ,kept some changed over some others . 

Big ,bold style but also very modern.

I have some quail marinating in EVO,CBP,garlic,chilli, balsamic,splash of white wine & rosemary.

Lovely colour.

This winery have got going over the last few years.

The 2010 Lepus shiraz is apparently off the charts. They make some several different wines now I bought this when they only had 1.

Big & balanced lots of plum,black fruits,some black pepper.

I will get some dinner out here in a minute.

Mick this is outstanding!

First off, the wine sounds really fabulous and big and with young violet color and just totally up my alley! Wish it came here!!!???

Secondly, I LOVE quails!!

And your food looks soft and succulent and amazing!!!

Beautiful post!

Happy weekend!

Cheers! - Leah

It drank very young. It was 2002 vintage but just had great fresh fruit forward characters.
I like that some guy who started as a cellar hand went to winemakers college then went to the top of the tree here as a winemaker then to the management can just go & start up his own little deal & go back to making wine again .
It's small output really hands on .I think he bought a vineyard that he used to buy grapes from when he was the head winemaker at Penfolds.
I like quail,they grill so well.Great summer food.

I am having leftover quail but I was given this by a grateful client so I pulled the cork.

Didn't know what to expect,minimalist label .Its made by Eric Pfifferling somewhere in France its red after that I am scratching.So I look him up.

Well its really quite something 70% Syrah,30% grenache Southern Rhone. He has a whole 7 hectares of vines,organic,,no sulfites,no filtration.He is a former honey maker who moved to winemaking in 2002. Hands on ,no short cuts ,no trickery.

Great glass of wine ripe black,lavender berry on the palate.Nose is a mix black olive,smoked meats & leather.13%.I would like to put this side by side with an Aussie Shiraz ,grenache.Just to compare the style.

I  can't imagine there is much of this on the market but if it got all the way down here it should get to to USA.I don't know what it costs but its a great glass of wine.

Now that bottle sounds majestic Mick!
I'm going to go look it up! See what you started!!??
Cheers!
Its right up your alley ,zero preservatives.So he must be really freaky clean 
biggrin.gif
. 7  hectares is less than 20 acres so he can't be making much.He obviously has a following for an importer to be bothered bringing it here with so much domestic competition. 

Great partner for poultry or snails or some such. It was very elegant wine,balanced & subtle. Good luck finding it.I reordered Cape Jaffa ,still $16.

Sent you an email about the Cape Jaffa new release.Its a Shiraz made by CJ but with grapes sourced from the best batches in that region.
Big buzz about it,rated right up there with the big hitters but way less $. Best wine in the Melbourne Wine show that's not an easy competition to win.
It might be a big enough production run to be exported!

Yes that sounds so delicious! Keep me posted and come teach us all here as well!!! Fabulous stuff!

Meanwhile I'm grilling octopus & eggplant over here and so here is to grabbing life by the tentacles and making it count!
Cheers to all! Make today terrific!!! - Leah

Just dropping in to share a little sunshine, since the beach this morning, while cold, was magnificent, and also some simple grilled fare - octopus in herbs de Provence with pink sea salt with black truffle flecks in it.
Fabulous!!!!! Cheers to all and make today sensational!
GALLERY]

Thank you tons Knuckle47!
Sea foam indeed albeit 24-26 degrees lately here by day, and so the iceman cometh and soon.
Heading to VT in December, I will see winter for sure!
Meanwhile, still having issues with my photos appearing shorter or squashed, and started a thread in the blowing smoke section for any IT folk out there who might advise. Thanks tons!
For now, a simple grilled calamari meal did grace today and for which I am grateful!
Oh, and I'll be doing a Thanksgiving thread here and sharing my day's food and libation and want everyone to chime in and do the same - photos & description of wine too - so please do contribute (everyone) as it will be fun!
Cheers! - Leah

Last edited:
Oh, and Knucle47, you may appreciate that my local fishmonger finds my palate so frightening as he does not eat fish at all and so my frog's legs, whole mackerel, or even red meat like camel burger do ick him out.
Today he gave me what may be the best pickup line I've received, and after me telling him about the smoked rabbit stew that I am making on Thanksgiving Day.
He said, "You'd be SO hot, if you didn't eat such gross stuff!"
And there you have it then!
Not only does he know how to rightfully charm a gal, but I do love this comment really and am therefore taking it as the best of this week! Too funny.
Cheers! - Leah

So, I am not alone in those thoughts ! But he is right . You have a great appeal ( how's that) and I see it in your free spirited outlook and views. For one reason or another, I have not gotten notices of your blog updates. Those writings provide a more panoramic view into your thoughts. I found it very attractive. But, you know where I spent many of my formative years and I happily gravitate to that other life.. I'd go back in the blink of an eye.

By the way, I can affirm that winter IS in Vermont.

Thank you so much Knuckle47! I stopped/closed that blog but will keep you posted on new doings coming soon!

Meanwhile, Mick, I'm so sorry for hijacking your thread as they say, and with miscellaneous chimed in notes! (I forget that the wine section is not just one big forum but in fact individual posts and I didn't mean to start babbling in yours)!

Back to your wines!!!!

Such a fun group however, in whatever post we're ever in!!!
Cheers to all! - Leah

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky