Happy Turkey Day Canada

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lcamero

Original poster
Apr 27, 2014
Saint John, NB, Canada
Seeing as today was Turkey day in Canada, I decided to do the turkey some justice (as in they always taste way to dry when my sister in laws cook them).

Soaked the bird in brine for 16 hours, then let it warm up to room temperature before tossing it on the Q.

Rubbed it down with olive oil to help keep it moist, no additional seasoning.

Used a 30/70 mix of olive oil and apple juice to moisten during cooking.

Total cook time 6 hours, bird weight was 12.3 lbs.

Tasty looking bird.

I'd advise not allowing poultry to sit out and warm up to room temperature. For food safeties sake it's best to go straight from the fridge to the smoker.

I agree with Case. However, that is a fine looking bird. Here in BC we went non traditional with a double smoked ham.

Disco

Looks great! I took a crack at it, too, on the UDS in Toronto.

Only 8 hours of brine, rubbed down with butter and honey. Turkey was too tall for the UDS so had to place it on the lower rack--  with a pork loin on top for the drippings. Pork loin was basted in plum wine and maple syrup. Not too shabby--  not sure I will go back to the oven.

Happy (belated) Thanksgiving to my northern neighbors!! The turkey looks fantastic and I hope you all had a wonderful day. I guess it's time to get in a practice run for our Thanksgiving next month. Judging by all the posts on here I'll have to hit it out of the park just to keep up!

Nice looking bird , Icamera .
drool.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky