Happy to find this forum, greetings from Ohio

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

midtownbistro

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 2, 2011
Ohio
I stumbled upon this forum a year after researching every smoker design under the sun.  Everyone has different needs and I am happy with my Cookshack investment.  Alas, 6 months later I find myself pursuing the art of bacon.  Summertime heat, perfectly insulated Cookshack, and not being able to cold smoke in a Cookshack (no matter how much ice I use), I've searched again the equipment for cold smoking.

I love to cook for friends and it is easy to just keep making food, so they are my test kitchen.  I also own a restaurant and what I test here, we end up doing at the restaurant.  Test on friends and family first!  haha.

Anyways, I've read many threads here, learned alot already, and happy to share my experiences.

Thanks for the tip Craig!  I have 15 lbs of pork belly curing right now.  I will read read read.  Thanks again, Jeff

Welcome bistro!!

Some great Ohio Smokers here!!

And a Great "Smoking Ohio Butcher"!!

My MES 30 or 40 don't cold smoke any better than your Cookshack.

I'm in heaven using my AMNS & AMNPS---Cold or hot smoking, with no creosote. Check 'em out !

Later,

Bear

welcome1.gif
 aboard and DO check out those AMZN Products  you will not be disappointed.

RIch

Welcome to the SMF. Glad to have you here. Lots of good folks, great recipes and knowledge. Looking forward to  your first qview. 
icon14.gif

Sounds like you need a AMNS. The link is in my signature. 

Welcome and I agree with the folks who steered you to A MAZE N SMOKER. It is way more versitile that anything else on the market. Customer service is outstanding and made in USA

Okay okay.  All this advice to try an AMNS!

Today was my virgin run with my Smoke Daddy Big Kahuna.  I was so pleased with my installation, I truly believed I had the perfect set up. 

Okay, I'm registered with this site, people got me enthused, so I figured I'd smoke some cheese.  Simple enough.  Got a slow smoke going, burn rates good...time to relax with a beer.

Fast forward 3 hours.

Talk about CREOSOTE!

Discharge pipe has this glob of creosote almost 3/4's blocking the pipe.  Hotter than tar, stickier than anything known to man.  Ughhh.  Easy to clean out with a twig, but I'm sure when it cools down it will be hard.

Bear, AlaskanBear, Scarbelly, meaneater....you folks are right.  I'm buying an AMNS tonight.  I can't stand going this far and not getting it right.

Couple of questions about the AMNS:

does it add much heat to the smoke chamber since the burning occurs right in the same box?

how do you control the amount of smoke, or do you just let it rip and open up vents?

do you think the Smoke Daddy folks will give me my money back?  It's only 3 days old!!  haha

Today was my virgin run with my Smoke Daddy Big Kahuna.  I was so pleased with my installation, I truly believed I had the perfect set up. 

Okay, I'm registered with this site, people got me enthused, so I figured I'd smoke some cheese.  Simple enough.  Got a slow smoke going, burn rates good...time to relax with a beer.

Fast forward 3 hours.

Talk about CREOSOTE!

Discharge pipe has this glob of creosote almost 3/4's blocking the pipe.  Hotter than tar, stickier than anything known to man.  Ughhh.  Easy to clean out with a twig, but I'm sure when it cools down it will be hard.

Bear, AlaskanBear, Scarbelly, meaneater....you folks are right.  I'm buying an AMNS tonight.  I can't stand going this far and not getting it right.

does it add much heat to the smoke chamber since the burning occurs right in the same box?

how do you control the amount of smoke, or do you just let it rip and open up vents?

do you think the Smoke Daddy folks will give me my money back?  It's only 3 days old!!  haha
That's funny---Not funny that you had problems with your Big Kahuna!!!!----Funny that you had the exact same results I had with mine nearly 2 years ago, and again last year, after converting it to the new backdraft design. I didn't want to say anything before you tried it, because I don't like to pick on it, but it puts out more creosote than my Lopi Woodstove!  However my stove is easier to clean. You might want to check with them, before you go drilling holes in it to make it work better. I believe they claim they'll give your money back.

As for the AMNS & AMNPS, Todd can tell you better about a slight heat rise when cold smoking, but the only time I have to add a jug of ice is when cold smoking cheese, and that is mainly because my MES 40 is so well insulated, it holds heat so well. The AMNPS gives off more heat than the AMNS, but like I said, a little ice in with your cheese, and your good to go.

You don't really control the amount of smoke, except by how you light it:

A perfect amount of medium smoke in my MES 40 or MES 30, is lighting either one of them on one end. If I want twice as much smoke, I light both ends. If you wanted twice as much again, you could light the middle too, which would give you 4 burning starts, but then you would be getting back to "too much smoke".

The great thing is, when I light one end, which to me is perfect, you get 9 to 12 hours of smoke, without going near it, unless you physically separate the burning dust or pellets from the unburned ones.

Hope this helps,

Bear

Welcome to SMF Midtown!  As you are seeing, it's a great place -- lots of helpful folks here.  I think you got some good advice above, I can't add much other that to say I concur with it all.  Last summer I bought a AMNS and used it mainly in my char-griller to smoke bacon and cheese.  It worked like a charm.  This summer I got an MES 40 and the AMNPS.  I have not even used the wood chips in the MES, I use the AMNPS -- it's super.  Both work great for bacon in my experience.  Once you have your own home cured and smoked bacon, you will never want to go back to stuff from a store!

Good to see another Buckeye smoker here!  What part of Ohio are you from?

Good luck

Fast forward 3 hours.

Talk about CREOSOTE!

The Original AMNS will increase the internal temp of your smoker 12°+/-, and the New AMNPS can increase the temp up to 20°+.  The increase in heat depends on ambient temps and the type of smoker used.  An insulated smoker, like the MES will hold the heat more than an unsulated smoker like yours.

how do you control the amount of smoke, or do you just let it rip and open up vents?  Light one or both ends, depending on how much smoke you want.  You also need good air intake and a wide open exhaust.  Good air flow is important.

For your smoker, I would take a serious look at the A-MAZE-N-PELLET-SMOKER(AMNPS).  You have a large smoke chamber, and pellets produce more smoke than sawdust.  That said, you can use either sawdust or pellets in the New AMNPS

AMNPS = $49.99

$39.99 + Shipping if you use coupon code "SMF$10" at checkout

d6046f9d_NoCreosote.png

Todd

Last edited:
Just got my AMNPS today and doing a test run!.

The hardest part of this smoke generator is to not think too much.  I lit it, got my blue smoke, and been sitting here waiting for something to tweak.  Zzzzzzzz.  Hmm, maybe I'll go cut the lawn.

Youngstown Ohio!!  And about the store-bought bacon.... I have 10 or 15 lbs curing now and will smoke it this weekend.  Don't tell any of my friends, but they are all getting bacon this weekend...so I can go make the next batch.  haha

Just got my AMNPS today and doing a test run!.

The hardest part of this smoke generator is to not think too much.  I lit it, got my blue smoke, and been sitting here waiting for something to tweak.  Zzzzzzzz.  Hmm, maybe I'll go cut the lawn.
LOL---You'll fit in here really good!!!  
biggrin.gif

Bear

First bacon attempt (overnight while I was sleeping):  

To the experienced bacon smokers:  please critique

I (the newbie student) have a few questions:
  1. should I have left the skin on.
  2. do I further leave the skin on and slice it with it on, and cook with it on?
  3. is the smoke color dark enough?  How would I improve the color?
  4. no I haven't tasted it yet, I am making coffee and geez I just woke up!
4e6966a0_baconload.jpg
354a6bdc_AMNPSat8hrs.jpg
ead189cb_baconat8hrs.jpg
681d822b_bacon2at8hrs.jpg

OMG!!!!

Color looks GREAT!

Kind of a "Mahogany Red"????

Depends on the wood used, but I smoke bacon for 12 hours with Apple.  Hickory has a little "Bite" to it, so 12 hours is too long for me.  It's really up to your personal preference.  The ends and pieces will be a little stronger smoke, and I use them in baked beans.

I remove the skin before smoking, but some smoke with it on

Don't throw away the skin!!!

Cut it up and make some "Smoked Deep Fried Pork Rinds"!!

Look like the AMNPS did it's thing

Fry some up and give it a taste!!

Todd

Todd

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky