Happy New Year!!!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wetback42

Original poster
Dec 18, 2006
Crystal, Michigan
Thought I'd check in and see what's up so far this year, got up this morn. at 4:30 am so my venison hind 1/4 will be done fore the Rose Bowl.
Got the Weber fired up, wraped the "critter" in it's bacon blanket, and put to bed for a long winters nap (abuot 10 hours worth, heavy sleeper). The Weber temp was right at 250*, thinking I wanted to keep it at 225*, I closed down the bottom vent just a bit. Dam, woke up at 8:30 to a cold smoker,(not the way I wanted to start the new year), oh well, now that I've got the first screw-up of the year out of the way, I got the coals started again and went in for breakfast.
Everyone have a Great New Year and GO MICHIGAN !!!

I'll keep you posted.

Wetback42

Hey wetback42 looks like you got a great start today. How is smoked venison? I have a couple in the freezer but never thought about smoking it!!! The biggest piece of venison I have is a roast.

I rubbed a brisket down last night, wrapped it in plastic wrap for today. Woke up at 4:45am but decided that was a little too early. Fell back to sleep and didn't wake until 8:30 - WOW ! I never sleep that late. Anyway I put the meat on at 9:00.

Ha Ha - I too have my 1st screw up out of the way!

Good luck - "HAPPY NEW YEAR"

MoHntr

Not just a first screw up, almost a compleate waste of not only the first day of the rest of the year, but some good "critter" too.
In my somewhat drowsey state at 4:45 in the morning, I had this great idea, what if I used my new (first generation weber performer with the fancy one touch cleaner/vent system, I purchased late this past summer) grill, instead of my old and trusty weber with the three round vents. BAD IDEA!!!
This was the worst experience I've ever had cooking anything. First thing, like I posted, the coals went out, after restarting them I spent the rest of the day with my cooker either spiking or wanting to go out.
I'm blameing all the fuss on weber's "one touch" vent system, I don't know what else it could be.
The day wasn't c compleat loss, even with all the trouble with the temps, the dogone "critter" turned out not half bad. A little tougher than I would have liked, but still tasted good, and thanks to the brine, the juices ran when I carved into it.
I think I'm going to try a shoulder roast next, and soon I hope, so I can get past this lousy experience and move on to some fresh, clean smoke.
As if the smoking gone bad wasn't bad enough, U of M got their butts kicked, oh woe is me!!!!
Any who, on a brighter note, how did your brisket turn out, what do you use for a rub?

Later, Wetback.

Boy your day did take a wild turn.... Glad to hear the critter was still edible!!

I learned alot about brisket in one Holiday weekend. I went to a local IGA food store and was looking at the briskets. Just so happens the butcher stops by while I'm eye'n up the cuts of meat. I ask for some help in picking the best brisket. After I chose one he said since it's the holiday weekend he would trim it up for no charge. Whoo hooo!!!

I got it home, rubbed on some yellow mustard and the rub... wrapped it all up in plastic wrap like.

After waking late I got the meat on the smoker. Came inside, fired up the internet - replied to your post and then started digging up more info on the correct way to cook the beast.

Learned that there should be a nice 1/8 to 1/4 inch layer of fat still on the brisket. Well my butcher cleaned it all off. The only fat left on the brisket was between the point and flat. I was disappointed when I learned it was trimmed wrong.. but I already had it smoking.

Well to make a long story a bit shorter. I sprayed it with apple juice every 45 minutes or so. I monitored the internal temp and when it hit 170 I wrapped it in foil with apple juice and then pulled it at 201. Let it rest for a little over 1 hour.

I sliced the flat at tasted it... It had a great flavor but was a little dry. I pulled the point and it was a little bit dry, but mixed it with some bbq sauce and it tasted wonderful.

Overall the meat was good. If I had bought it cooked someplace I would NOT have been a happy camper

I want to do another one with the fat intact. Since it was my first brisket I don't have anything to compare it to.

I also learned that the rub really looses alot of its punch. The meat really needed a bit of salt still.

Boy I'm long winded!! I am adding the rub I used: I found it on this site. I really need to see who posted it. They deserve the credit. By the way it is excellent. It does have a little heat.

RUB:

2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons ground cumin
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground allspice
¼ cup paprika

PREPARATION:
Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and mix well; use as a dry rub on beef, chicken, lamb or pork.

Good day!

MoHntr

Mo HNTR,
Thanks for the rub reciepe, maybe I'll try it on my next go-round with the smoker. I think i'm gonna go out this morning and try my luck with some rabbit, that sounds good for dinner.
Later, Wetback.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky