Ham Help for newbie

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

joedo

Original poster
Jan 29, 2007
Newbie,

Just bought a Brinkmann Electric smoker. Made some good smoked sausage with Mesquite chips. Tried to smoke a ham, yesterday but it tastes like a lightly smoked pork roast. I let it smoke 7 hrs, because the temp is cold in Ohio I finished cooking it in my gas oven at 200 degrees. Anyone else, have sucess with ham ?

Thanks

Joe

Hi there joedo and welcome to the SMF . I don't have much experience with smoking hams, but I'm sure somone here will be along and can give you info on it. Lots of great folks here with tons of knowledge. Be sure to head over to Roll Call so folks can give ya a nice hello.

Joe,

Was that a cured ham or a fresh ham?

Fresh ham will taste just like you said, "like a lightly smoked pork roast"

However you can smoke it like a pork butt and it makes some real good pulled pork.

Most cured hams are already smoked and at least partially cooked during processing and cooking in a smoker will add some more smoke to it, but really just heating it up to its recommended temperature is sufficient.

Joe, I agree with cajunsmoker if you did not cure the cut yourself and it tasted as you said it must have been a fresh cut to start with

Bet it was some good eating even if it was not what you expected!

Welcome to SMF

tonto1117 & cajunsmoker,

Thanks for the replies, I used a fresh pork loin. If I use another pork loin and cure it in brine and then smoke it will it be like regular smoked ham ?

Joe

joedo
We all thought you had a fresh ham cut not a pork loin
Looks like you are after "canadian bacon" look at this post in the SMOKING BACON threads

click this link
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=2972

there are many more posts there also so you can read all you want to :?
click the link called "smoking bacon" on the index and a whole world of post will open up!
wink.gif

joedo -

I've done that before in a hurry at the supermarket I grabbed a fresh shoulder once - my boy was comming for diiner and he was not happy! Ham is his favorite meat - and I blew it. Punish me you cook dinner!

:twisted:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky