HAM field day cook out.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

starsfaninco

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Nov 2, 2006
Denver
I think some of you are Ham's (the radio variety Rich). Our repeater association is participating in the Field day the weekend of the 27, 28, 29th and I've been asked to bring the smoker. I think we're going to do several butts and some brisket and probably some ribs. This kind of goes along with the taking the smoker camping thread. Any of you doing the same??

Please tell me why?? My Dad is an avid Hammer. He teaches courses to help others get their license or whatever. What is the attraction to this hamming thing? I'm sure you crazy hammers will be eating good with some smoke.

I've always been a bit of a "knob'er". I like to twist anything with knobs. I work in IT and electronics have always held my interest. That's one side of it I guess. The other is having grown up in West Texas, I've seen the power and destructive capabilities of foul weather. Skywarn and ARES are two of the major weather spotting groups associated with NOAA and use ham radios to communicate. Also, in addition to that, I was a Boy Scout and learned to 'always be prepared'. Land lines and cell phones won't always work (see Katrina) and there will always be a need to send and receive messages.

The field day is sort of a show off day for Ham Radio. There are contests and demonstrations, and in our group a lot of camaraderie. We set up where cell phones don't work (up in the mountains west of Denver), and show just what kind of capabilities we still have to communicate. Phone patches (radio to land line), internet (packet radio), and other forms of communication all take place during the weekend.

Hope this explains it a bit.

KE

Cool. My Dad said some of the same things. He's into all the electronic stuff as well. Glad there are people out there that show interest. Good luck.

Been a hamster (as my brother likes to call it) for, oh about 6 years I guess, don't get on the air much though, it takes away from my smoking time...

Never participated in a field day as I always seem too busy to tune in. But your idea of bringing the smoker to your setup sounds like a good idea to me!!!

Mike,
it's a pretty good time with the Repeater group that I'm with. Like a bunch of older boy scouts with electronics and guns to play with. Most of the same group are in my Range association too :). We've got one guy thats supposed to be back from Iraq on Friday just in time to make it, and since most of us are veterans. we've got a special present lined up for him.

Should be a fun time...

KE

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky