Halved turkey brine time?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

zwiller

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 16, 2016
Sandusky, OH
Was gifted a 15lb bird and that would not fit spatchcocked into my gasser so I halved it.  I tend to think that should reduce brining time.  Going old school Pop's full strength no rub.  I am thinking 1-2 days max.  What do you guys think?  Thanks in advance!

NO.....  The breast meat and thigh meat are still the same thickness...   The strength of the cure/brine has nothing to do with the length of time the meat should be in the brine to be safe....   What controls the time is ...  Thickness of the meat...  molecules of cure and salt and sugar travel at a speed controlled by the meat tissues...  sugar travels 5-10 times slower than salt due to the size of the sugar molecule...  if you shorten the brine time, the sugar won't be able to do it's job and counter act the salt...  you will end up with a salty tasting piece of meat... 

Thank you for checking up about this....   It shows you are concerned.... 

Dave

:yeahthat:

Dave is a cranky old dude, but he knows his stuff, trust him on this matter. Also, as he said, good job on asking questions about curing, it can save food and folks sometimes.

Just messing with you @DaveOmak :sausage:

yeahthat.gif

Dave is a cranky old dude, but he knows his stuff, trust him on this matter. Also, as he said, good job on asking questions about curing, it can save food and folks sometimes.

Just messing with you @DaveOmak
sausage.gif
You Cranky OLD Buzzard....  you love me like a brother....  and the feelings mutual....  

Thanks to both of ya cranky old buzzards!  I am not a total newb to smoking or cooking but that's first time I've heard of that sugar penetration is slower.  Interesting.  What do recommend?  Bird went in the drink late Thursday night.  I would prefer to smoke tomorrow and that would be about 60 hours just shy of 3 days that I think Pops recommends.  Doable?     

Thanks to both of ya cranky old buzzards!  I am not a total newb to smoking or cooking but that's first time I've heard of that sugar penetration is slower.  Interesting.  What do recommend?  Bird went in the drink late Thursday night.  I would prefer to smoke tomorrow and that would be about 60 hours just shy of 3 days that I think Pops recommends.  Doable?     

You'll be fine and you and yours will love it.

Below is the paper on sugar...

http://www.genuineideas.com/ArticlesIndex/sugarbrine.html

Sugar molecules are MUCH larger than salt ions- over 10 times larger in cross-section and mass.

Thanks again gents!  So........... the deed is done.  Actually pulled it off a few moments ago.  I used apple wood. 

I prefer smoked bird cold.  What is best way to cool?  Last time I covered immediately and got some "shrinkage".  
biggrin.gif
  I think I saw someone say not to cover until cool.  Any thoughts appreciated.  Thanks again.  

It's all good!  The bird spent 2 hours in 38F weather uncovered before retiring to the fridge it appears to have done the job.  No shrinkage!  Colorwise I wish it was just a tad darker but I will take that over creosote any day.  I need to work on the getting more BLUE in my smoke.  In the past I foil wrapped and had even less color so I am just adding plain wood.  I do find there are a few times during the smoke where it's dialed in and the fragrance of the wood really resembles what the wood is from and that never happened with foil.  IE apple smell is strong.  Smells incredible!  Problem is that is less than 50% of the smoke.  Thinking of adding larger chunks next time but for the most part the less wood the better has worked well for me.  Ah, the pursuit of the perfect smoke...  The bird tasted fantastic. Thanks to Pops brine and you guys!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky