Habanero Barbecue Chicken Wings with Q-View

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

callahan4life

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jan 20, 2011
Callahan, Florida
My 19 year old son said he wanted to cook out tonight so I suggested chicken wings and baked beans. I had a recipe for Habanero Barbecue Chicken Wings (recipe to follow) that I wanted to try. So here we go.

We don’t pick up my Lang Patio 36 until tomorrow so we cooked these on the Weber Charcoal Kettle. We used Kingsford Mesquite Charcoal and added water-soaked Cherry Chips.

We mixed up the dry rub and applied to the wings. Since this was a last minute deal we only marinated them for about 2 hours as we prepared the sauce.

These are just as we put them on the grill:

4751e9f1_001.jpg

b963f0bb_002.jpg

220c8da0_003.jpg

This is at the 30 minute mark and ready for their first application of sauce:

8cd4a23f_005.jpg

461ed307_007.jpg

This is them after their first application of sauce:

4108c96b_008.jpg

ffd2e222_009.jpg

ee35023f_010.jpg

Here they are re-sauced and ready to be moved to direct grilling to get a light char, over the hot coals for 4 minutes, turning once:

cc99f1cb_012.jpg

And they are ready to come off the grill, they were sticky, sweet and spicy hot:

304dc07e_013.jpg

646e576d_014.jpg

fd5794df_015.jpg

We also made up a batch of "Dutch's Wicked Baked Beans" (see wiki for recipe) We cooked them in the oven. They were very good!

6282fcc6_011.jpg

The wings turned out really good but they were very hot. After eating a few my wife, son and I all agreed that they are almost too hot. I definitely would not give them to a child. The next time I make these I am going to cut the Habanero’s from two to one.

Habanero Barbecue Chicken Wings Recipe

3 pounds chicken wings cut into drumettes and flats

HABANERO BARBECUE SAUCE INGREDIENTS:
3 cloves garlic
2 habanaro chiles
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small, finely chopped onion
2 tablespoons finely chopped green bell peppers
2 cups tomato sauce
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup molasses
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
2 tablespoons yellow mustard
kosher salt to taste

DRY RUB INGREDIENTS:
1 tablespoon paprika
1 teaspoon granulated garlic
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

To make the sauce: Heat a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Place garlic cloves and habaneros in the skillet and cook, turning occasionally, until they are blackened in spots, about 10 minutes. Remove from skillet and let cool. Peel and roughly chop garlic. Seed and roughly chop habaneros.

Heat olive oil In a medium saucepan over medium heat until shimmering. Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and lightly browned. Add garlic, habaneros, and green bell pepper and cook for 1 minute. Add tomato sauce, vinegar, honey, molasses, Worcestershire sauce, sugar, and mustard and stir to combine. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until thickened, stirring occasionally, about 20 to 30 minutes. Season with salt to taste. Pour sauce into the jar of a blender and puree until almost smooth. Pour sauce into a jar and store in refrigerator until ready to use, up to two weeks.

To make the rub: Combine paprika, granulated garlic, salt, black pepper and cayenne in a small bowl.

To make the wings: Place chicken wings in a large Ziploc bag and sprinkle in the rub. Seal bag and toss wings to evenly coat with the rub. Store in refrigerator up to one day (optional).

Get your bbq/grill up to med-high temp and set cooking grate in place, cover grill and allow to preheat for 5 minutes. Clean and oil the grilling grate. Add some wood chunk(s) on top of the coals, and once burning and producing smoke, place wings on the cool side of the grill, cover, and cook over medium-high heat until skin is browned and crisp, about 30 minutes.

Brush wings all over with sauce, cover, and let cook until sauce caramelizes, about 5 minutes. Brush with sauce again and move wings to the hot side of the grill. Cook until slightly charred, about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove wings to a platter and serve immediately.

Last edited:
Reactions: fate
Them wings look great real nice color to them to.. nice job.. i love hot hot wings so i will be giving this a try.. thanks for the recipe and posting.

Great looking wings.

I grow my own Habaneros, and can see why this recipe might be a little on the spicy side for most.  But I love the sweet, fruity taste that a habanero brings to a dish.  You can try seeding and de-veining them both (or just one of the two peppers) to reduce the heat but keep the wonderful flavor.  If you reduce the number of peppers, you will lose the distinctive taste.  The proportions in the recipe are good. If the spiciness is a concern, I would just try cutting the heat a little without changing the flavor... JMHO/

Great looking wings.

I grow my own Habaneros, and can see why this recipe might be a little on the spicy side for most.  But I love the sweet, fruity taste that a habanero brings to a dish.  You can try seeding and de-veining them both (or just one of the two peppers) to reduce the heat but keep the wonderful flavor.  If you reduce the number of peppers, you will lose the distinctive taste.  The proportions in the recipe are good. If the spiciness is a concern, I would just try cutting the heat a little without changing the flavor... JMHO/
Thanks, I'll take and use your advice on the next batch. I too felt the taste was great and don't want to lose that.

Wow!

Those look way tasty!!

Thanks for the recipe!

Craig

The wings & beans look great. I am going to try your wing recipe out the next time I do wings. Thank Callahan. Man your going to be a terror with that new Lang!

Wow, That is all I can say!!!! I eat wings 2 times a week at Wings etc. and Buffalo Wild Wings. I'll take 18 of those with bleu cheese and a 23oz Miller Lite.  

good looking wings, I really like using Habanero's, I use a lot of them in salsa's but never thought about blending with a bbq sauce. I will have to try this.
PDT_Armataz_01_42.gif

good recipe; I used it on some thighs this afternoon.  Good low heat, I was worried it'd be too hot, but it was perfect.

41a6c988_Sept32011018.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky