gypsy's smoked chicken enchilada casserole

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gypsyseagod

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
May 5, 2007
standing over the pit- kentucky
leaving kinda loose to interpretation. 4-8 chix 1/4's sprinkled w/ fajita spice & garlic,smoked,pulled & shredded,1 block of velveeta cheese(sliced 1/4-1/2" thick),i can rotel tomatoes,1 can delmonte mexican style diced tomatoes w/ green chiles & cilantro,6-12 corn tortillas,1lb bag of shredded mexican cheese blend. first, dip tortillas in warm oil until soft & pliable then stack & cut into 1/4s. layer on the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish.layer in shredded chicken,layerin the velveeta cheese squares,pour in the cans of tomatoes & rotels, layer in more chicken,layer on the rest of the tortilla triangles & top w/ the shreeded cheese. give a light dust on top of comino(cumin), and sliced japeno if ya wish. bake uncovered @ 350 for 45 mins to an hour or until cheese is bubbly.i use a pyrex dish so i can see. it's a variation of king ranch chicken w/out the mushrooms or bell peppers. enjoy.

looks real good so far. A couple questions? Do you always use dark meat chix and to what temp do you bring it to for the best pulling?

i'm using 1/4s and as far as pulling,i never thought about it. i run it between 250-300 until the juice runs clear,or about 3-4 hours spritzing w/ just water.- tent it in the oven on 225 for another hour, lest rest for an hour & shred it.i've just recently got into using thermo's and it's thrown me (not my cooks).just go by feel & instinct.or if ya must use a thermo go to 190 in the joint the wrap & rest for @ least an hour before pulling. p.s. this is wally world tyson leg 1/4s - 10 lbs for $4.80

4 hours & the temp is 225 170 @ the joint of the largest piece so we'll add a few bricks take it 2 more hrs @ 250 then tentfoil in oven @225 for an hour -rest an hour(in ziploc cooking bag)then pull for tomorrow. 4 quarters are for the enchiladas-2 are for chix salad(that recipe coming soon). here's the link. http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w...od/food%20pix/

baby has colich so give me a few mins to do this ( chix yanked(not to be corn-fusedw/ pulled)@6 hrs., tent in oven @275 for an hour rested for 2 hrs(did i mention colich) reheated @ 225 for an hour-i have to dance w/ her (she likes bob marley,selena,albannach,gypc's stuff)- i'll pull in a few mins & do those pics. ziploc until tomorrow & chix salad w/ 2 1/4s & the other 4 for the enchiladas- pics to go step by step.

Thats a cute kid you got there Gypsy. I have one of my own, gonna be 2 months on the 11th.

[EDIT] I can't wait to see how that enchilada turns out...might have to try that out meself

well "lil'missfussy butt" is asleep so i am going too - tomorrow will be the chix salad & the smoked chix enchies pics to go w/ the recipe. p.s. - if i can't see surfin' penguins- noone does........nothing , nada... lol

Looks great gypsy, sorry to hear about the colic, for her and for you. I went thru it too so I know the feeling.

What's the purpose of tenting the chicken in the oven instead of in the smoker?

ok we're back after our commercial break. the pics have the step by step in the caption titles - the only thing i forgot is spray oil the pan first as the tortillas are oiled but ya know baked cheese....i forgot to get enchi sauce but i think the meat did it justice. if i did the beans,rice,cilantro leaf & a lime wedge i'd be a contender for "whose the next food network show". if y'all got question shoot a message here. hope you enjoy the pics & the dish if you make it. if you do - try my pooter shooter beans & refry them 2-3 days later in your home smoked bacon fat for what (oh y'all know i'm cocky- humble don't work for me)i think is 1 of the best meals you will ever have shy of going to mexico. http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w...od/food%20pix/

yw- first time my wife ever tried it- fer the meas. i suggested- better get a turkey pan- 9x13 barely holds it.i was used to making this for 20 on the boat so i downsized the recipe then cooked it after the fact.

Hey bro, me and my wife are sittin here drooling over your pics!!! We are definitely going to do this recipe!!!

Thanks for the detailed pics!!!!YUMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!

i'm siting here wanting to improv some lead accents to your jamz.thats a great thing to work on myt chops to(not to mention burn my guitar) anyway, i'll post a couple other songs i wrote & send ya links to a couple bands ya never ever would hear w/out the help - do try the albannach site. here's the links. http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...d-6b13062740e9

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky