gypsy's pooter shooter pintos

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gypsyseagod

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
May 5, 2007
standing over the pit- kentucky
2lbs. pintos(remove rocks & split beans),1/2 medium yellow onion,1/2 bulb(4-6 cloves)smoked or roasted garlic (mashed not diced),2tbsp cumin(comino),1 can medium rotel tomatoes,3 smoked or cured ham hocks,1/8 cup bolner's fiesta spice,and 2tsp banking powder(if ya don't want the after fragrance). pour all in together, cover w/ 8" of water and bring to a boil,pull back to a simmer for 5-8 hrs-adding wateras needed/stirring occassionally.when the ham hocks fall separate w/ a spoon simmer 1 more hour. rest overnight & reheat the next day. day 3 reheat w/ scrambled eggs,bacon,skin on roasted cheddar cheese potatoes & wrap in a tortilla.

Reactions: grillzilla
Sounds good Gypsy, one thing you texans can do is make good pintos
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

I never even liked beans until i went to texas for a deer hunt and got them served with every meal........brisket n beans, i've been hooked ever since!!!

LOL before I moved to TX. I never even heard of pinto beans. I got a job at a pallet yard for a while and they ALWAYS had a crock pot going full of pinto beans. Now it's the only beans I'll eat. MMMMmmmmm beans and corn bread.

Really sounds like a wonderful recipe for pinto's there gypsy and i must say you do have a unique name for them. That is one i am not gonna forget anytime soon. Thanks for sharing

Bill
USMC Retire.....ooorahhhhhhhhhhhh

MMMMMMM......Pintos! Love "Beef 'n Beans". Chopped brisket in a cup with bbq'd pintos. Now I know what I'm doin this weekend!
PDT_Armataz_01_14.gif

Got me to thinking about my experience growing up north of the border ... the only beans to be found in chilli were 'kidney' beans, however over the years pinto found it's way here. Strangely enough, kidney beans are still popular here
icon_redface.gif
but not with me.
Then I discovered black beans ... and now they are my personal favorite ... yum!
Any of you guys like them?

Man...a new pinto bean recipe. YEEHAAW!! I will have to give it a try. Over here in Africa I cook the boys pinto beans and sausage served over rice. Of course with a few secret ingrediants added. The boys from the UK and Europe do not cook like this. They will ask.." Ahh mate, when you gonna cook some more of those Texas beans?" Of course I oblidge them. Thanks again for the new recipe!!

yw.. can ya get rotels shipped over there ??
p.s. where in afrika ?

and if ya can't get hocksor fatty to add- try waterbuffa fat or antelope knuckle seared...just a chunk- it works too.

Yes we can get a form of rotels over here. Most of our supplies come from Portugal or South Africa. But not to worry gypsy, my check-in luggage may have 1 or 3 articles of clothes. The rest is spices, seasonings and such. Also hot sauces and any other thing I think we may need. The menu we come up with varies to say the least. The other night 3 diffirent groups of guys cooked as we were on our 1/2 day off. The fare was grilled steak, chicken, my beans sausage and rice, and chinese dumplings. And of course Super Bock beer. 5.5% alcohol and boy did my head hurt Monday morning. Must have been the chicken..LOL. We also make a lot of Thai chicken curries, using red, green and yellow curry paste. One of these days I am going to add sum-sum (a papaya salad) to the recipe section. Next hitch over I will cook some of your beans and also some of Dutch's. I know they will be a hit. Keep the fire burning and the TBS coming. I leave tomorrow for the states so you guys take care.
icon_mrgreen.gif

PS...I am in Angola Africa!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky