Guinness Beef - The Brewery Recipe

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

supervman

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
May 25, 2008
Minnesota
Steak Guinness Beef It is OUTSTANDING Recipe #158715

Got this outstanding recipe from the "Follow that Food" show. This is the dish most requested by tourists at the Guinness brewery. They served it with steamed baby root vegetables and boiled skinned potatoes. Really really good!! Something in the Guinness breaks down tissue and makes the meat very tender and juicy.

1 ½ - 1 ¾ lb sirloin steaks
2 shallots, quartered
4-6 garlic cloves, pressed
3-5 sprigs fresh rosemary
1 teaspoon steak seasoning
1 (15 ounce) can Guinness stout

Steamed Cabbage Quarters or a boiled SKINNED Boiled Potato
1 ½ TBSP BUTTER

Baby Root Vegetables

Serves 4
Prep Time: 10 Min
Cook Time: 10 Min
  1. Cut steak into 3-4 ounce serving size pieces and remove any fat.
  2. In a large dish, combine shallots, rosemary, garlic, steak seasoning and 3/4 of the Guinness. Make sure the steaks are submerged in the liquid. Marinate the steak for 2 ½ - 3 hours.
  3. Right before you put the meat into a VERY VERY hot skillet add a bit of Guinness to give the marinade bowl a little bit of head, then remove the meat to the HOT skillet, but put ONLY the meat into the hot skillet.
  4. In a very hot skillet, sear the meat for 2-3 minutes on the first side. Then flip the meat.
  5. Upon the flip of the meat add all of the marinade sauce, the chef did NOT add the shallots or garlic cloves. Just the marinade and the rosemary if it came out.
  6. Let the meat cook for a minute or so then add 1 ½ TBSP of Butter to the pan and gently shake the pan around to distribute. During this time the Marinade reduces by about 50 – 75%. The butter is important to add a smooth and silky finish to the meat.
  7. Place a piece of steamed cabbage (or skinned whole potato) in the center of a plate. Surround it with some steamed or oven roasted root vegetables. Place STEAK on top of the cabbage (or potato) and then drizzle the remaining reduction around the root veggies on the exterior of the plate.
Veggies: Parsnips, Carrots, Baby Turnips, Cabbage, Potato,

Wow, sounds good. I beleive there is something to that Guinness (besides being a great drink!) in cooking meat. I use it in my brisket mop and am tweaking a finishing sauce with it.

Both of which you are going to share when they are fine tuned, right, right.
PDT_Armataz_01_29.gif
PDT_Armataz_01_29.gif

I'm wondering how this might work on a brisket? Is it to thick? Thanks VMan!!

The steaks in the show were only about 3/4" thick. I've made this with one inch thick cuts. It's just plain darned good. I taped the show and watched it a few times to get the proper proceedure down. Their printed recipe ommitted some of the steps/ingredients.

Why not try a brisket? It might need more time to "macerate/infuse" but should be good. Flank would be very excellent with this recipe.

That sounds awsome! I just pulled some steaks out of the freezer. Guess what I am trying this weekend.

You won't be disappointed.
Use nice fresh shallot, garlic and rosemary.
For the Steak Seasoning I use Montreal.
I also cook it in a Cast Iron Skillet. (which he did on the show)
I preheat it in the oven to 475 then plop it onto the stove top and monkey with it there.
I've also done it on the Weber but the stove top gives better heat control.
Good Luck.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky