Guajillo Shrimp Tacos w/ Chile de Arbol Sauce (Bachelor Week)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

xray

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Mar 11, 2015
Northeast PA
Another planned meal that I wanted to make for bachelor week was shrimp tacos. I've made these before as posted here: https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/grilled-shrimp-tacos-taco-tuesday.276241/

The only difference is I decided to skip the avocado tomato salsa and try out a Chile de Arbol Sauce. The shrimp were prepared the same way and the sauce was adapted from Tacolicious. The sauce is an orange sauce found at West Coast Taquerias, most notably La Vic's. I've never been to the west coast or had their tacos, but I really liked how this sauce came out. Recipe at the end of the post.

16-20 size shrimp thawed, peeled and marinated in Guajillo pepper adobo. I get this from Wegman's.
IMG_3395.jpg

Shrimp was marinated for 8 hours and then grilled:
IMG_3396.jpg

Shrimp all done:
IMG_3397.jpg

Tacos were assembled using grilled corn tortillas, cilantro, onion and the Arbol sauce. Then I topped with a little queso fresco. I wanted to keep these simple.

Guajillo shrimp tacos:
IMG_3401.jpg

IMG_3403.jpg

IMG_3404.jpg

These were very good. They were actually pretty spicy with the guajillo marinade. I really liked the Chile de Arbol sauce. It had a very creamy texture even though there was no dairy. Here's the recipe.

Chile de Arbol Sauce:

4 Roma tomatoes, halved
2 small onions, sliced into thick slices
1/2c. packed dried Arbol chiles, destemmed and somewhat seeded
2 dried New Mexican chiles, destemmed and seeded
5 garlic cloves
3/4c. Vegetable Oil
1/3c. Apple Cider Vinegar
1/2c. Hot water
1TBSP Kosher salt

1.Remove stems and seeds from dried chiles.
IMG_3378.jpg

2. Slice tomatoes in half and slice onions into thick slices. Place under a broiler or onto a grill until charred.
IMG_3380.jpg

3. Heat 1TBSP Vegetable oil in a pan and lightly toast chiles and garlic, about 2-3minutes. Take care not to burn garlic or chiles.
IMG_3379.jpg

4. After toasting chiles, add contents of pan into a blender. Add 1/2 cup hot water and 1/3 apple cider vinegar. Let chiles sit for 10 minutes to soften. After 10 minutes, add roasted tomatoes and onions and accumulated juices from the baking sheet. Add 1 TBSP kosher salt and blend until finely pureed.
IMG_3381.jpg

5. After mixture is pureed. Slowly add 3/4c. vegetable oil while blending to emulsify sauce. Continue blending until desired texture and smoothness. This took me about 4-5 minutes.
IMG_3382.jpg

6. Finished sauce was put in a squeeze bottle. Here's how much it made.
IMG_3383.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Joe

OMG Looks incredible! Big shrimp taco fan.

Timely post. Playing with some chili powders tonight! I really want to like guajillo... Bright, smokey, and citrusy BUT just too hot for a base. Ancho is too weak on its own. Looking at NM red. In the end I will probably need to build a blend.

This looks great. The Arbor Sauce I would enjoy...JJ

Wow that looks great! I love shrimp! That sauce has got to be killer! Nice job!

Damn Joe!
You're killing it!
Absolutely stunning meal and StepXStep w/ great pics.
Like!
X, this looks delicious. Shrimp tacos are on my list. Sauce looks
simple but tasty.

RG
Great cook and tutorial thread!
View attachment 411307
Wow that looks great! I love shrimp! That sauce has got to be killer! Nice job!

Thanks guys, they sure were good.

OMG Looks incredible! Big shrimp taco fan.

Timely post. Playing with some chili powders tonight! I really want to like guajillo... Bright, smokey, and citrusy BUT just too hot for a base. Ancho is too weak on its own. Looking at NM red. In the end I will probably need to build a blend.

Thank you zwiller. Are you toasting and grinding your own powders?

I always use a combination of different chiles when making powder. I commonly use a mixture of ancho, guajillo and pasilla chiles. I don't measure, I just make a powder according to the number of chiles that I grind up. I use 4 ancho, 2 guajillo and 2 pasilla when making a powder. If I want more heat, I add arbol chiles to the mix.

Reactions: zwiller

It has a mild heat and it's not too overpowering. There's actually a creaminess to the sauce that if you tasted it you would think there's sour cream in it.

I've been using it on everything now. I just had some over my eggs for breakfast.
IMG_3407.jpg

I am not hardcore and just using the pre ground powders (Spice House). Thanks for the blend advice! Chili powder was a game changer for me. I slowly started blending it in my stuff and eventually substituted it for paprika for years now. Just starting to explore it further. One thing I found odd was how similar Guajillo and Chipotle were. Guajillo was just as smokey and hot. I did not expect that and expected Guajillo to be both less hot and smokey.

Reactions: xray
Man you killed it again!! These make my mouth water. I’d have to have at least 3 :)

Thanks jcam, I remember you saying you perk up when it come to tacos...hope I didn’t disappoint.

I was stuffer from 4!

Reactions: jcam222
I am not hardcore and just using the pre ground powders (Spice House). Thanks for the blend advice! Chili powder was a game changer for me. I slowly started blending it in my stuff and eventually substituted it for paprika for years now. Just starting to explore it further. One thing I found odd was how similar Guajillo and Chipotle were. Guajillo was just as smokey and hot. I did not expect that and expected Guajillo to be both less hot and smokey.

I’ve really enjoyed grinding my own chili powders the past two years. It is head and shoulders above the store bought stuff.

And it’s actually not expensive either. Some local stores around me carry a good selection. Most of the bags are $2-3.

I bought a big 1lb. bag of anchos 2 years ago off of Amazon. I think I paid like $15. I still have them. I put them in ziplock bags and keep them in the freezer. Then I just pull out what I need.

If I make a powder, I’ll let them sit out a few minutes until they’re pliable again, deseed and throw them in the oven to toast them and then grind.

Reactions: zwiller
Joe, what are you using to grind your chiles?

John, I use an electric coffee/spice grinder. This is what I have:
grinder.jpg

I'm able to grind to a fine powder with this unit. They only downsides are that it is a fixed bowl model, so I could only grind small batches at a time and it's a pain in the ass to clean.

I'm actually thinking about buying a new one. I've had this one for about 7 years.

I would prefer a removable bowl model. I remember seeing a ghost pepper post by Holly2015 where he used a ninja attachment. That one looked pretty cool.

Joe those look great, and a whole heap better then my first attempt at a taco. Thanks for posting the how-to.

Point for sure
Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky