Growing your own

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

flip

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
Worcester County, MA
[valley]
So, like, OMG, can I make my own? If I like, have my buttler take the seeds out will they grow huge? Like, from seeds and stuff?
[/valley]

After a few bad turns at the local veggie marts, I'm wondering if I can grow my own japs for next year. Would I be able to just use what I've been tossing out or should I head down and get some store bought seeds?

What do those of you that are growing your own recommend for a starter?

I have started everything from pepper plants to papaya trees with seeds from the store bought fruit or vegetables. I dry them then plant into those small starting pot things with micracle grow soil.

One thing that really seems to help IMO is putting the pots in a disposable aluminum pan and set it out in the sun. My best guess is that the extra light reflecting off the pan gets the pot extra warm and gets that seed moving..........maybe full of crap on that.......but I know that I get more and better starts when I leave it in the foil pan. If you give that a try, be sure to take pot out of the pan when the plant gets going or that reflective heat just cooks the plant.
PDT_Armataz_01_04.gif

I've got to try those Biker Billy japs from burpee! As far as growing your own, I've done it from seeds and I've just bought seedlings at the local garden center also. Either way, they grow like crazy. First time I planted them (pre-ABT idea), I ended up with so many I wasn't sure what I would do with them. I ended up taking one huge mixing bowl full and making jap jelly out of them.

I think the peppers grow better in the hotter environments

the hotter it gets the faster they grow here in central kansas they are just now coming on strong hope to have a bumper crop.
planted eveything in pots this season so far looks good.

Non of my pepper plants are growing too quickly. Tomatoe plants doing ok here. Hoping pepper plants are just having a growth spert..LOL

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky