Ground Beef Jerky

Discussion in 'Making Jerky' started by lk1932, Nov 7, 2007.

1. lk1932

lk1932 Newbie

I have made many pounds of ground beef jerky and always use pre-mixed spices and cures. I want to make it using my own spice mix and will use Tender Qucik cure. My question is this: How much Tender Quick cure should I use per pound of ground meat.

2. richtee

richtee Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Hia LK... Welcome to SMF! head over to the Roll Call forum and introduce yourself to the Family... it's kind of a tradition 'round here. And, as the package directs, use 1 Tbsp. per pound of lean meat. Try whole meat strips sometime. I just finished a batch and it's WONDERFUL! Real Smoke. Real Meat. Real GOOD!

3. lk1932

lk1932 Newbie

Hi, Richtee,
    I have made sliced jerky for the past 20 years and have made it out of almost every animal that ever walked the earth and I will say that it all turned out very good, at least that is what my neighbors tell me. They furnish the beer and I furnish the jerky. I make ground jerky out of the scraps. I have a masterbuilt stainless steel gas water smoker and have been playing with it for the past two years. Hope to get more info on how to really use it on SMF. I also have a Cabelas commercial grade dehydrator.

4. deejaydebi

deejaydebi Smoking Guru

IK -

You can use any of the spices you use for sliced meat jerky but add 1/2 oz of water per pound of meat and;

A technique I've learned that makes it so much easier is:

1) Mix your spices and cure according to manufacures directions based on weight.

2) Form it in a square tin foil loaf pan first (about 2 inches thick) let it sit covered in the fridge ovenight.

3) Turn pan upside down on smokehouse screens.

4) Set temp at 130 degrees for 1 hour or until dry - damper open.

5) Set temp to 150-160 degrees - damper 1.2 full - smoke 2-3 hours or until desired temp.

6) Set temp 170-180 degrees - no smoke - damper closed until internal temp is 155 degrees.

7) Refrigerate overnight.

8) Slice meat thin and smoke lightly again for about 2 hours or until desired texture is achived.

You can make tons of jerky at a time this way and it's very easy to do!

5. homebrew & bbq

homebrew & bbq Smoking Fanatic

Debi, you just have a way of making things sound so simple. [​IMG]

6. just woody

just woody Fire Starter

use 1 tablespoon per pound of meat