Ground beef jerky and fat percentage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

thehoz

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 6, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Hi all, I plan on trying my hand at ground beef jerky next week. One question I have is what percent of fat content is ok? What are the various opinions you guys have? 90/10 is on sale at my local store. But I see some guys using 93/7 and 95/5. Thanks

Hi all, I plan on trying my hand at ground beef jerky next week. One question I have is what percent of fat content is ok? What are the various opinions you guys have? 90/10 is on sale at my local store. But I see some guys using 93/7 and 95/5. Thanks
The leaner the better,fat is what turns rancid.I recommend using  cure #1 when making Jerky

I will. But it wont be until next weekend. I have the jerky gun, jerky mats and some mix coming in a couple days. I am doing ribs today though!

Ribs sound good  be sure abd post a lot of pictures

Gary

You can use 80/20 if you have to, but the leaner grinds are better. Another option if you have a grinder get some too round or bottom round, trim all the fat and grind it. It's typically cheaper than buying the leaner ground.

90/10 you shouldn't have a problem with. I used to dehydrate with that all the time and the jerky never lasted long enough to turn rancid. I do agree that the less fat the better but when your paying 2$ in a difference to make jerky I don't think that's worth it. Are you smoking or dehyrating?

Not trying to get away from the thread title  But I made Pork jerky the other day used pork loin. $1.99 lb.  Kids and grand kids loved it really all you pretty much taste is your flavoring.  Cheap and easy

90/10 you shouldn't have a problem with. I used to dehydrate with that all the time and the jerky never lasted long enough to turn rancid. I do agree that the less fat the better but when your paying 2$ in a difference to make jerky I don't think that's worth it. Are you smoking or dehyrating?
i am smoking it

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky