Grilling on wsm

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JAEBR29

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 22, 2019
So last year I started my smoking game. Now I have the itch to up my grilling game. I have a 18.5 wsm and a propane grill. I would like to get a basic charcoal grill Or more preferably can I readily use the wsm to grill. Nothing fancy.... Basic burgers brats pizza occasionally a steak or pork chops.

I don't think my wife will be on board with another grill taking up space so utilizing the wsm if it's able to do grilling well is definitely my top preference. But if it works but not well then a standalone grill would be the preference.
On the kettles, are webers worth their money or are some of the cheaper options out there better bang for the buck.
Thanks in advance

Personally, the weber kettles will last you a lifetime if you take care of them. Back in college 12 years ago my cousin go a banged up weber kettle with a half melted wheel and a few other issues for like $20 and it was the best grill we had hands down, and it out performed whatever Walmart charcoal grill I had paid $60 for new. I'm pretty sure he's still using that same kettle, but I do believe he finally fixed the wheel :p

Reactions: phatbac
I've used my WSM 22 for a grill many times. I've actually used it for a grill more than a smoker. I'm currently looking for that "perfect" table to use just for this since I try to use the bottom portion only or the bottom portion with the rotisserie set up. I also plan to get a Santa Maria set up for my WSM so don't be shy. Yes, they actually make a Santa Maria set up that fits the 22" just perfect (I wouldn't doubt if they make one for the 18.5 as well?) We're only limited by our imagination.

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
Weber Kettles get sold cheap all the time on Craigslist, especially in the Spring when folks are cleaning out the garage. I've occasionally seen practically new Weber Kettles being given away. "Pick it up. It's yours. Charcoal and cover included." It isn't unusual to see a $99-$150 Kettle being sold for at little as $20, or new in box for half off or less.

Cont'd. I went and looked on CL for my area. Guess what I found. Looks like an 18.5" Kettle. Could be a 22.5". Hard to tell with that lens.

Free bbq, pots, tiles, Christmas tree stand.
Pick up today or tomorrow.
(8) Marble tiles approx 8" x 15"
(5) Large floor tiles approx 24" x 24"

Bbq just needs dusting off, in good shape—vent closure is compromised...remains open (see image).

00909_lIx7LsCV2IC_600x450.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky