Grilled Pork Tenderloin with Pineapple Glaze

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

raceyb

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jul 15, 2007
019.jpg

I shot in a higher resolution then usual today. Please feel free to click on one of the thumbnails for a bigger and better picture.

I have been looking forward to today for a few days. There had been a couple of forum threads regarding pork tenderloins and various ways to smoke or grill them over at the SMF and that got me wanting to grill some pork. With the holidays coming up, I already had ideas about plating that included using fruit. I thought, "what goes better with pork then pineapple and mango? And besides, pineapple was a couple of dollars off on sale at my local Food Lion.

003.jpg

I prepared several side dishes to go with today's meal and I'll keep those brief and cover them in more depth later this upcoming week right here on the blog. The menu was cooked on two grills that I had running simultaneously. Next time they will be within one step of each other.

008.jpg

To start with the pork, I trimmed excess fat and placed the large loin in a 2 gallon zip loc bag. I added a large bottle of Mojo which is an orange based marinade that is popular with Cuban and Mexican pork recipes. It has a nice ambiance about it. You can find a recipe online for Mojo or visit your Mexican or ethnic aisle in the grocery story. I allowed the pork to marinate for 6 hours.

005.jpg

I got the Cowboy's Lump Charcoal started in my Weber charcoal chimney and pulled the loin out of the fridge, then rinsed and patted it dry. I rubbed it very lightly with a BBQ rub from the McCormick Grillmates line. My plan was to sear the pork on a hot sear grate and then bring the internal temp up to 140 degrees using an indirect grilling method. I basically seared on one side, and then moved to the cool side of the grill and placed the top on, with the vent over the meat. This directs the heat to be drawn across the meat before it exits through the vents.

011.jpg
My dual probe remote thermometer indicated that for the hour it took to bring the temp to 140 degrees F, the Weber air temp was 325 degrees. I also used a couple of soaked hickory chunks for flavor and had a nice smoke. I had made a quick and simple pineapple juice glaze and kept the meat mopped with the glaze. When the internal temperature reached 142 degrees F, I removed from the Weber and wrapped in heavy duty foil and allowed to sit for 20 minutes. If desired, reserve liquid in foil to drizzle over meat.

021.jpg

Here is the final presentation. I used the pineapple crown for decoration. In the back of the platter is a pineapple and mango chutney that goes great with pork or fish. I'll write about making it later this week. Also on the platter is grilled pineapple, caramelized sweet potatoes and asparagus spears wrapped in bacon.

016.jpg

Holy delicious BATMAN !!! That looks fantastic !!! I love the pineapple/pork combination and use it for my babyback ribs all the time. Great job
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Nice looking stuff there Raceyb. I just made some chops with apricot sauce last night... that pineapple stuff might need to be my next attempt.

About the Cowboy lump... any chance you can find Ozark Oak down there? If so, give it a try, I think you'll like it better than Cowboy. I pay $4.80/10lb here, but it is good... hot burning and low ash. I can get about 1 hour per pound burn time on a low wind mild temp day.

Thanks for the comments. I'll keep an eye out for that lump and give it a try. I pay almost $7 for a bag of Cowboy's at Lowes. If anyone wants the pineapple glaze or pineapple & Mango salsa recipes, give me a pm holler or ask for it here and I'll add to the post.

nice..

That meal looks like it was popping with alot of different flavors. Nicely done.
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Excellent looking meal! Thanks for the great pics.

Thanks again guys. Flash, I can't wait to see the results. I spent about 3 minutes going through tenderloins and this is one of the most photogenic ones I have ever run across.
PDT_Armataz_01_28.gif

I do have a request for the salsa and glaze, so here they are. As always, comments are more then welcome....

Pineapple glaze

1 can pineapple rings, drained (reserve juice)
2 1/2 tbsp. dark brown sugar
1/8 cup prepared mustard
1 tbsp. lemon juice
2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
water to add to reserve juice to equal 3/4 cup

In a small sauce pan combine pineapple juice, water, brown sugar and mustard and bring to a light boil. Reduce heat and stir in lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce. Simmer for 5 minutes until thick, stirring constantly.

If you like pineapple, skip the can of rings and buy pineapple juice and a fresh pineapple. Use 3/4 cup of juice. Fresh pineapple on the grill makes a great side and really sharpens up a plate.

Pineapple & Mango Salsa

1/2 cup finely diced pineapple (use grilled or smoked if possible)
1/2 cup finely diced mango
1/4 cup finely diced red onion
2 small finely diced tomatoes (de seeded)
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
juice of half lemon
2 tbsp EVOO

If you can, grill or smoke the pineapple for this salsa first. It will make this salsa pop even more. Combine the first 5 ingredients and then toss. Drizzle with olive oil and squeeze in lemon juice and toss. Let sit 30 minutes before serving, toss right before serving.

This salsa goes great with fish and pork. For those that like sweet and hot, you can make this a warmer dish by finely dicing a medium heat pepper or two. I prefer it just like this myself.

One thing I did not do, which I almost always do, is place pineapple rings over the pork. I like to use rings and toothpicks for the indirect cooking portion of the grill and totally spaced that out. I'll be doing it for Xmas ham. :)

Raceyb, have you tried the Stubbs brand at Lowes? I work there and a fellow smoker said it was pretty good stuff. Also great job on the pork and sides.

PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

OK, I'll look out for that one too! Thanks. BTW, since you are an insider, let me know when Kingsford goes on clearance again. :) My store put two pallets on clearance for $4 a bag last year and I bought a ton of it. lol Charcoal is never out of season with me.

Man oh Man your pork looks great and the presentation is also excellant to.
points.gif
just have to be awarded for you display of some mighty fine looking food.

Looks Awesome, gonna have to try that...maybe real soon.

Do have a question though.....Disclaimer: Not trying to be a smart azz

in the pictures that looks like a loin more that it does a tenderloin,
at least the tenderloins I get around here appear to be much smaller than what yours appears to be.
Is that just the camera or is it a loin?

If they are tenderloins, do you see any reason this wouldn't work on a loin?

It is a Tenderloin according to Food Lion. They have them on sale for $2.99 a lb and they are smithfields, come in the same packages all my other tenderloins have.

I was surprised when I opened it and it was one solid piece. I expected two to be honest. I had the camera in high res mode, but I doubt the camera is making it look like a loin.

I imagine you could do a boneless loin the same way. I would. Just sear and finish with indirect heat. If the price were cheaper, I'd go back and get some that size to smoke, but I can't see paying $2.99 a lb for em, I just had a hunkering for pork tenderloin that was started in another thread.

I have the same ones from Smithfields and they state they are two pieces on the label >> ??? They do say tenderloins and are around 2.47 lbs each. I got soaked for an additional $1.00 per lb on mine though
PDT_Armataz_01_05.gif

LOL. I am sure my presentation will not be as purty as Raceyb's either.
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky