Grill temp with Probes instead of therms

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

meatchef

Original poster
Jun 4, 2009
Making some changes to my offset. I wanted to add two stem themometers but can't find them locally.

Can a digital themometer with a probe be used to monitor the air temperature inside the grill?

Maybe add a holder for the probe too?

Welcome to the site Meatchef.
Many, many folks here use a digital thermo to keep watch on the chamber temperature.
Usually placed in a potato or a piece of wood to keep it off the grates, but yes, you could do that.
Would love to see some pics of the work you decided to do.

I have known people to drilling holes in there grills that is the same size as the thermometer probe, digital or not, and just putting the thermometer in the hole for a chamber temp. I suppose you could put some silicone calk around it too if you want it sealed.

Yes, you can do that. Also, Bass Pro or Cabella's have some fairly inexpensive 2 to 3 in. screw in therms. @-1/2in. stem and I believe 3/4in. hole needed. Mine were Brinkman therms. ,but need in a hurry. will get Tru-temp later.
good smoking and happy 4th.
SMOKE HAPPY
Stan aka Old School BBQ
biggrin.gif

I always use a probe, put it in an orange, potato, onion, whatever is on the counter

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky