Greetings! New smoker here...

Discussion in 'New England Members Group' started by ricka77, Apr 25, 2014.

1. ricka77

ricka77 Fire Starter

Hello New England Group!  I'm a fan of good Q, and hopefully will making some myself within a week or so.

I just got a WSM 18 last week, and I can't wait to see smoke pouring out.  So far, I've also grabbed a second charcoal grate to prevent falling through, some SS ties to hold the grates and ring together as a single unit, and some Nomex gasket rolls to help seal it to keep that smoke where it need to be..over my food!  I also have a Maverick 733, the new model.  Not 100% impressed with it yet, but I still haven't used it.  It just seems a bit flimsy..but if it keeps me informed of what's going on inside the bullet, I'm a happy camper.

I live in MA, all my life so far, probably forever...maybe going North a bit at some point.  But pretty happy with current area.  This is my new thing, according to the wife...lol.  As long I balance it with my truck, sports, golf, and brewing, I'll be ok...and she has to get some of the meat too I suppose.

If next weekend is good weather, I'll be working on temp control methods, and proper charcoal usage and setup for long smokes.  Thinking about a couple of chickens first, then a brisket, the first of many this Summer..

2. hambone1950

hambone1950 Master of the Pit Group Lead

welcome neighbor. good to have you here. the wsm is an awesome cooker. the more you use it , the better you will like it. good luck....supposed to be wet tomorrah !

3. wheeled mine into the garage, door open smoking a pork loin and a couple of split chickens

4. just added more fuel and woodchips, been going for an hour.

5. hambone1950

hambone1950 Master of the Pit Group Lead

Looks good!

6. bobank03

bobank03 Smoking Fanatic

Welcome to the group Ricka77!!