Greetings from New Hamshire

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokefreeordie

Original poster
May 3, 2014
I'm an amateur smoker in New Hampshire.  Family and friends all say they like what I smoke, but I'm sure can do better.  I like to smoke just about anything though ribs, brisket and fish (salmon and trout) are the usual fare.

I have a cheap, Char-Grill offset smoker (Tractor Supply special). I've modified it a bit (thanks to this forum) by adding flashing in the smoke stack to lower it to the rack surface.  The the smoker-side has a large charcoal tray to allow use as a humongous charcoal grill. I use the tray as a baffle, raising it as high as it goes to force much of the firebox heat under it. Does a pretty good job for a cheapie. Thinking of making it more airtight to see if that will ease up on the fuel consumption  (this thing really eats the charcoal).

Particularly challenging is smoking in the winter. I shovel some of the coals under the baffle on the smoker side to get the temp up. Sometimes, if it is cold enough, you can just pick up the coals with your frozen fingers and toss 'em to the other side.

Probably could throw on a fiberglass blanket on the smoke (and a wool one on myself)  to help with the temperature.

However, once the snow buries the smoker I'll call an end to the season. Too hard to keep a fire going when the snowmelt keeps putting it out. 

I live on the edge of a forest. Plenty of Oak, Maple, Hickory, just lying around waiting to be gathered. Also lots of apple orchards for apple wood. Ironically, my favorite smoking wood is Mesquite. To harvest that wood I need to visit a local grocer.  Boy do thy get nervous when you walk into the store with an axe.

Looking forward to being part of the forum.

SmokeFreeOrDie in the LiveFreeOrDie State.

Hey

Welcome to the Smoking  forum.   You’ll find great , friendly people here, all more than willing to answer any question you may have.  Just ask and you’ll get about 10 different answers—all right.  LOL.   Don’t forget to post qviews.

Gary

Hello and welcome from East Texas, Cold weather can be a challenge, of course we don't have near the cold and winter as you.

Gary S

Welcome indeed! And from another "Live Free Or Die" devotee! (I'm currently on the coastal area). And where be thee?

In any event, there is a New England group, and also a wonderful "WINOS" group (click up in the group section" to check out groups and join) if you drink vino at all or enjoy chatting about such with your smoked great food!

This place is amazing and the people even more so. Enjoy!!! You'll love it here!

Cheers! - Leah

I'm about an hour away, just a little south of Manchester. Did I really spell it "Ham"shire?  Hmmm. Must've had smoked pork on the brain.

Nice place to be, East Texas.  Anywhere Texas, actually.  My folks and several siblings live in the Waco/Dallas area. Grandparents, when alive, lived in the San Antonio area. An aunt that used to live in Corpus Christie.  I even know where China Grove is.

Explains my penchant for mesquite smoke, eh?  8^) 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky