Greetings from IA

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

iashane

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 7, 2014
Hello all! My name is Shane and I live in Iowa.  I love cooking outdoors, usually over charcoal or open fire, but have dabbled in dutch ovens.

My wife and I are going to be celebrating our 10 year wedding anniversary on the 19th and for a Father's Day/Anniversary gift, she got me an offset smoker.  I've been wanting one for a long time, and she has blessed me with one!

It's an Oklahoma Joe's Longhorn smoker.  She brought it home to me today and we assembled it together.  :)  We are breaking it in with some charcoal at the moment, and after letting it burn for a bit I just tossed on a rack of ribs.  May as well not waste charcoal.

While waiting for dinner I thought I'd look around the net for some tips/tricks/info on smoking and cooking on it since smoking is totally new to me.  I'm on several forums for saltwater reef aquariums, so a forum is the first place I started looking for info.  I'm looking forward to learning as much as I can and eating well!

Thanks for the welcome.  Since I'm still browsing and working my way around the different topics, is there a particular place you could point me that would have info on "what that rig can do"?   
biggrin.gif

Hello Shane, welcome from East Texas. Congrats on the 10 years and the new smoker. Look through the different Forums and threads all kind of information on just about anything. You need some help just ask

Gary S

Welcome to the group from Northern Illinois. Congrats on the 10 years and the smoker. My wife and I will be having our 25 on the 17th and are planning a party with friends and family. Wish she would have got me a new smoker but she didn't so I built my own. Tested it with some ribs this week and plan to really break it in with a whole pig at the party. Look up the 3-2-1 method for ribs it works well for them. Good luck and keep smoking.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky