Greetings from Dubai

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cajunofarabia

Original poster
Aug 20, 2015
Hello Everyone. 

First, I'd like to thank everyone on the forum --- I've been reading up for a while now and your pictures and stories helped me finally bite the bullet and get a Masterbuilt electric smoker, 30in, older model (as I read those were better, so no bluetooth for me). Too bad they only come in 110v. Given its 200v only here in the desert, I hope I can run this thing on a step down. 

I have some experience smoking, but mostly in what would be a very cheap 'walmart' type vertical cylinder type that my wife got me for my birthday a few years ago. It worked ok but was incredibly tough to keep at temp for an extended period of time given the terrible charcoal I had to use as smoking isn't really big here. 

I really enjoy making everything myself and got the cold smoke kit in hopes of making some proper bacon. I tried the hot smoke and it came out flavorful but couldn't be cooked crispy for breakfast. I also make all my own sauces and rubs as well as tonics, tinctures, bitters and barrel aged cocktails to pair with the soon to be nicely smoked protein. 

My smoker just arrived last night, so I'll be seasoning it when I get home from work and likely smoking something tomorrow in it for the first time. I want to try prime rib, brisket, duck, turkey (well, all the things) so a bit paralyzed as to what to do first--- any suggestions? 

CoA, welcome to SMF!  Glad you are here and looking forward to smoking up some home-grown grub in the far away land. 

As far as what to smoke first, the common wisdom is to start with something easy and forgiving.  Not sure how much pork is available to you over there but chicken, parts or whole are great to cut your smoking teeth on to learn the quirks of your smoker.  Just make sure the coolest part of the bird is above 165F internal temperature. 

Meatloafs are easy and fun too.  Same target temp.

Pork butts/shoulders are just about the most forgiving piece of meat on the planet, so if you can get them, have at it. 

Looking forward to seeing what you create on your new piece of home.

Thanks... "seasoning" the smoker now--- will start a couple racks of pork ribs (baby back) and some chicken parts in about 30 mins.

Pork is generally easy to get, but expensive... no Boston butts only smaller roasts but I can get whole pigs haha.

will post some after shots

texas.gif
  Good evening and welcome to the forum, from a pretty nice day in East Texas, and the best site on the web. Lots of great people with tons of information on just about  everything.

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky