Greetings from Cleveland Ohio

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wklkjn

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jun 29, 2016
Bolivar, Ohio
Hello.  My name's Wayne and I'm new to the forum.

This looks like a great place for me to get great advice on getting better at the art of smoking!

I have always found a lot of value in joining forums that are specific to what I'm trying to learn.

I've been on several forums in the past; Voyagers of America (motorcycle forum), then I joined the Goldwing forum when we upgraded our bike, then I joined a 'Silverton' boat forum.

All were great places to get advice, learn, and eventually help others with things I've learned.

When it comes to smoking, in my opinion, it sounds very simple - but there are a lot of variables that go into the process.

In addition, I'd bet that there are a lot of  people that product 'acceptable' results - but very few people that produce 'excellent' results.

That's what I'm looking for.  I never want to do things just to get by, or to have someone eat at my house and say "Hey Wayne, that wasn't too bad".  I want people to enjoy eating what I've smoked / BBQ'd and say "Damn Wayne!  Those were the best (ribs, chicken, whatever), I've ever had!!!

And that's why I'm here.  :)

I can manage to smoke meat on my own - there's certainly a lot of tips on the internet to look up, but I'm looking to be part of a smoking community that I can be a part of - a place where I can share my experiences, get better at it, and hopefully, help others.

So my background is, I lived in the country, outside of the Buffalo NY area all my life.  I'm 61, my wife loves BBQ as much as I do, and my son is absolutely on board to learn right along with me.  We've moved to a country town about an hour south of Cleveland Ohio, probably midway between Cleveland and Akron.

A few months ago, I purchased a Masterbuilt propane - 2 door smoker at Home Depot.  I like it a lot.

I've had some successes and some failures at smoking so far but I'm not giving up.

Successes include chicken wings, Baby Back Ribs (when I followed the 321 method and used aluminum foil), and hamburgers - (recipe I found online).

Failures (Ugh) include the darn Pork Butt I already asked about in my first post.  It was cooked, but tough, had to cut most of it with a carving knife into slices.  I've also failed at Baby Back Ribs twice - trying to smoke them without wrapping them in foil and I think the heat was too hot.

So that's about it for now.

Big 4th of July party - I'm making ribs (I'm pretty sure I've got it down to make some really good ribs) and chicken wings.

Thanks for reading, Hope you don't get tired of my questions as time goes on.

I'm going to post a separate thread on the Master built smoker that I bought, and maybe look for some advice on cooking whole chickens in the smoker (that's the plan for Saturday).

Wayne

texas.gif
  Good morning and welcome to the forum, from a hot day here in East Texas, and the best site on the web. Lots of great people with tons of information on just about  everything.

Gary

Welcome!
Don't worry about asking too many questions, most of the time here you are quick to get an answer!

Good luck with 4th BBQ!take some good q view shots!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky