greetings, fellow SMForumites

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hardwoodalchemy

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 10, 2015
Louisville, KY
My name is Hans, and I'm a new member here on the SMF although I've been reading for close to a month.

My introduction to smoking was when I borrowed a thoroughly used Brinkmann charcoal smoker from a friend, and my first smoking project was a single whole chicken. I didn't think it was smoking enough, so I kept adding chunks of hickory every time it wasn't absolutely billowing smoke. When I took the chicken out, it looked like it had been dunked in India ink. It was BLACK. LOL There was no identifiable smoke ring because it had penetrated the meat to such a degree that almost all the meat was a very dark brown. So, yeah ... my first project was a "learning experience." I did another chicken or two and a pork butt after that that were far, far more successful.

After a hiatus of about 5 years due to living in an apartment where we couldn't have a smoker or a real grill, we recently moved to a place where I can have both. I'd been saving up my Cabela's points for a few years, and was able to snag a floor model WSM 22.5" for less than $100 out of pocket.
icon_mrgreen.gif
 My first smoking project was a little over a week ago -- I used the Minion method and smoked a pork butt and 3 whole chickens with 100% apple. I got it a little hotter than I wanted to due to being a relative newbie, so the chickens were done in about 3.5 hours and the butt was 200° at about 6.5 hours. Great success all around. Great bark and smoke ring on the butt which we turned into pulled pork, and the chicken was super tender and flavorful. My next project is in two weeks -- smoking enough pork and chickens to feed about 60 people. I'll be smoking the pork ahead of time so that it can be ready to go instead of trying to time everything.

I'm looking forward to participating in this community!

Welcome to SMF! :welcome:
We're glad to have you. The search bar at the top is your most valuable resource here. This forum has been around for over ten years, so there is a good chance that any questions you may have, have already been answered (they may have 10 different answers, but you'll get an instant response non the less).
Please be sure to post your smokes along with your process and recipes. We will be glad to help you along the way and we may also learn something new ourselves in the process. Also, don't forget the very important Q view! (We're mad for pics on here [emoji]128513[/emoji])
Always remember to have fun because it's not fun if you have to work at it.
Thanks for joining,
- Ryan

texas.gif
  Good evening and welcome to the forum, from a warm humid day here in East Texas. Lots of great people with tons of information on just about  everything.

Gary

Glad you joined the group. The search bar at the top of any page is your best friend.
About anything you wanna know about smoking/grilling/curing/brining/cutting or slicing
and the list goes on has probably been posted. Remember to post a QVIEW of your smokes.
We are all smoke junkies here and we have to get our fix. If you have questions
Post it and you will probably get 10 replies with 11 different answers. That is
because their are so many different ways to make great Q...
Happy smoken.
David

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky